Molly Emergency

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LORIH

Reaction score
:( My molly is heavily pregnant and cannot move she seem paralsyed , she can only move her top fins.I have her in a breeding cage but she is on her back constantly. someone told me she may be stressed and that is why she can't move. Please help

To be honest it not sounding to good, how is she now.

To be honest it not sounding to good, how is she now.
:) Hi she is a little better but guess what I don't think she was pregnant, I put her into a bowl with a litle whisky (this has helped me beforeand revived a molly) Ialso put in some antibiotic and 2 days later the swelling was down but with no babies. At present she is stilll in the breeding tank but although she is moving about a little better her tail is very crooked and she is finding it difficult to reach up to get her food. I have given her the best care I can just don;t know what to do for the best now. She is eating ok but I don't know if this is the best for her.

ANY IDEAS

lORI

Never use whisky usually ends there life rather than saving it, as it makes the gills bleed,carry on with the antibiotics as it sound like a bacerial infections plus once the tail bends to to fluid build up and pressure they never surviive, as i've had two platys do this.

Never use whisky usually ends there life rather than saving it, as it makes the gills bleed,carry on with the antibiotics as it sound like a bacerial infections plus once the tail bends to to fluid build up and pressure they never surviive, as i've had two platys do this.
:( The whisky revived the molly i have a few weeks ago and she's going strong -hopefully. What can I do if this is the case I wouldn't want her to suffer. How would I put her out of her misery. I have tried really hard to make her better.

Lorixx

Clove oil is the best method if you think she is suffering.

what Clove oil will do to the fish?

It's usually used to humanely euthenise them. It's said to be a painless death.

Are you sure she isn't/wasn't pregnant? In some rare cases, the babies can press against the swimbladder and make it difficult for them to swim. But if you say her stomach size has gone down, that's probably not the case. What are your water parameters? Do/did her scales ever appear to pinecone out?

Good luck with your Molly, I hope she gets better! :thumbs:

what Clove oil will do to the fish?

It's usually used to humanely euthenise them. It's said to be a painless death.

Are you sure she isn't/wasn't pregnant? In some rare cases, the babies can press against the swimbladder and make it difficult for them to swim. But if you say her stomach size has gone down, that's probably not the case. What are your water parameters? Do/did her scales ever appear to pinecone out?

Good luck with your Molly, I hope she gets better! :thumbs:

Her fin at the top is ok now but her tail is twisted, I had to get Nitrate (a huge white block) and put it into the tank to dissolve as this was low in the water according to the tests. I was speaking to the guy ar the pet shop and he said she may have TB. If she starts to lose weight then I will probably have to let her go. He told me to keep her on the antibiotics and if she is eating ok stay with it. What do I do with the cloves oil just in case.

He also told me if things did get worse to put her into a small bag of water and put her in the freezer. Don't think I could do that.. Thanks for for helping me to you and WILDER it is REALLY APPRECIATED, especially as I am a novice when it comes to fish, ask me anything about cats but not fish but I am learning.

I got these lovely fish as they are supposed to be relaxing and stress free...I don't think! my 2 cats are less stressful. I'll keep you all updated on her health. Lori xx

@Annastasia, thanks for the info, but usually if my molly has some disease it happens to die very quickly, better fot the fish from suffering half-dead.

@LORIH, what molly type that is sick, the orange, silver or black colour?

@Wilder, nice links you have there.

btw can it caused by low temp. ? my thank of molly seems to last longer is the temp is around 28C-29C compared to 24C-25C

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back