Molly Emergency- WARNING GRAPHIC TEXT

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jessie J.

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone. One of my pregnant mollies passed away just now, and she died of an injury; I was wondering even though it's pretty gross if I could do a C-section and safely recover the fry. If so I would like to know right away so the body is not decomposing while I perform the Ceaseran. She was clamping her fins and hovering at the surface/gravel bed for the past few hours so I though maybe she was going to fry soon. Her belly is really big but I don't know how long she has been pregnant. Help?!

Im sorry but as somebody who claims to be an expert on mollies you should know the answer to this. How do I know you claim to be an expert? Because you are writing a book about Mollies.

Just for the record what you are suggesting may work however some strict conditions would need to be in place.

1 if the fish died not more than a minute or so ago, fry would suffocate quickly without the female supplying them with air.
2 the fry would have to be mature enough to survive, unlike humans there is no humidi crib for fish too premature and the fry wont survive.

don't bother doing it. As Nick said, if the female has been dead for any length of time the developing embryos/ baby fish will have suffocated.

I think the fry might have died before the female, If she was sick she may not have been able to keep the fry alive anyway.

Most reactions

Back