mollies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

molliesandme

Reaction score
i have mollies and i have had my tank set up for about 2 years i have a problem with my mollies dying like three days ago i woke up and a fish was dead no signs of infection nothing the next day 2 were dead still no signs and now today four has died and i do not know what is going on the temp is perfect the ph is good the water was changed about a month ago i just bought 2 suckers and a white molllie the white mollie was the second to die . no signs of any reason these fish are dying . please help. i believe my tank is a 55 gallon . ?? dont know what to do the same day i bought two black mollies now all these fish came from same store the same day i put the two black ones in a seperate tank by themsevles they are fine i believe that tank is a 20 gallon also i have a 5 gallon with a pregnant molly in there she is fine??

I have noticed that you double posted this in the newbies section as well. This post should either be in the emergency section, or if you have more general questions about mollies, then in the livebearers section. :)

actually, normal mollies can survive in brakish conditions and sailfin mollies can thrive in satwater :)

DD

MY TANK IS A SALTWATER TANK THANKS AND I DID POST THIS IN OTHER SECTIONS SO I WOULD GET FAST REPLYS SORRY IF IT OFFENDED ANYONE

i saw this post this mornign and wasnt sure whether to move it or not. You are indeed right that mollies can survive in salt water hence why i left it here. However i am a little confused about the "suckers" you mention.. considering there are very few sucker type fish that are kept in marine tanks it threw a shadow of doubt as to whether it was freshwater or not.

No need for an appology and no offense taken, if the solution can be sorted out then all the better.

Perhaps you can give us an idea how long these mollies were kept in the tank, what type of conditions were they kept in before they were inyour tank and exactly what other types of fish you have with them. Perhaps we can get a clearer picture then.. oh and how long has the tank been running, type of filtration, how much liverock etc...

With all the lovely 'True' Marine Fish you can get, Why chose Molly's

:/ :/ :/

ok i have mollies and they are i guess salfin mollies if that is how it is spelled they are in salt water they i have never set my tank up any different . wish i could post a pic of them but seems i have a problem with them uploading sorry.
i have a 55 gallon with about 30 mollies they are all the same i breed them ! although like i say i am having a problem though it is slowing it is still there the temp is always kept at 80 degrees and the ph is perfect dont know about nitrate dont have a kit to test although i am looking for one . i had my tank set up for about two years the water was changed in it about one month ago again i made it saltwater . anyway i was having a problem with my fish swimming side ways and then dying so that is y i changed my water all of it after i treated it with meds. i treated it twice to be sure it was gone . i put the fish back in there with fresh water after i cleaned tank and all a month ago the fish were fine no more swimming sideways nothing although now a month later now, my fish are dying with no signs of any infections what so ever . help ! also if i need to move this to a different place please tell me thank you very much!

No thats ok its fine here. Now we havce stablished that the tank is marine we will try and go through the problems that we feel might be occuring.

First of all i would like to know more about the water perameters. I always like to think of people like us, not as fish keeper but more accurately water managers. IF we cankeep our water in good condition and know abut why what and how it effects our fish then we are already have way to a thriving tank.

I would like to know the SG of the tank A marine tank should be between 1.021 and 1.026. Also, as the water evaporates, do you add freshwater or do you add more salt water?

You say the PH is fine, a PH of more than 8.0 ir really desirable but a sudden jump or drop in PH (say from 8.3 to 8.0 ) even though its still within acceptable perameters can still strain and stress the fish immensly.

OK thats all from me on this at the moment. This gets the ball rolling and even if its not onthe right lines at least we can eliminate it should it prove to be a wrong avenue.

Are your mollys standard/common/normal ones or sailfins? how much salt are you adding to the tank? At best mollys are brackish but not marine, but they do well in freshwater setups if they are standard ones- my 2 standard female mollys have never been sick in the year and a half i've been keeping them and i have never used salt once on them during this time.
Im very concerned on your use of salt and as i have asked before in a pm you sent me, water stats including ammonia, nitrates and nitrites and very important if anyone is to help you in diagnosing the problem :nod:

I really think that you need to do more reasearch on keeping Salt Water Fish, as realistly, you should be tesing at least once a week

Ammonia
Nitrate
Nitrite
Phosphate
pH
SG
Temp

& if any corals (Depending on type)

kh/Alk
Calc.
Mag

I am not being rude, but reasearch can Save money/livestock in the end