Mollies & Pregnancy!

ColeyWoley85

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Evening All, I am a newbie here looking for help and saying HEY! 

Ok, So a bit about why i'm here ((Yawn))

We set up a tropical tank around 1 month ago made it a peaceful community. Guppies, Mollies etc
So feeding time yesterday my other half pops his head over the tank to drop in the food and sees a small black thing swimming about. Turns out we have a baby! Problem is we have no idea where from, if there is or were more and they have been eaten!! TBH we had no idea we would end up with Babies but little dude is proof, So we have popped him in our 'nursery' tank and trying to figure out is there more, who dropped the lil fella and what not. 
Then we noticed a white molly with a very black spot at her back end! Its very clear and cant be missed (somehow we did whoops) 
I have some pics which i will pop on as soon as i find my data cable but basically i have 2 mollys both white. 1 is rounded and bigger than any other molly but no gravid spot, keeps laying at the bottom of the tank and chasing away anybody who dares come close then theres the 1 with the large gravid spot((??)) but she has barely any weight on her and looks totally normal bar the large black bit!
Question is could 1 be poregnant without Gravid Spot and the other without a bulging belly?? 

Edit! The one with black spot is being chased constantly by guppies and mollies!! Poor thing isnt being left alone

Hi there, gravid spot isn't proof of being pregnant. I have 3 week old guppy fry, the females have gravid spots. I find it usually indicates female. Near the end of the pregnancy however, the gravid spot becomes bigger.
My platy never gets a gravid spot but already dropped one batch of fry and is about to drop a 2nd!

When you say you set it up a month ago-did you cycle the tank? I find that mollies do better in an established tank-just my experience since I lost a few when I didn't know about cycling. 

If you could put pics up then that would be a great help. 

Will attempt to send them to laptop now
smile.png

It wasnt established but we learnt our lesson fast when 14 out of the 16 guppys we had died
sad.png

No losses in a while and all seems well. We had 1 neon left out of 11 and he is thriving and really big now so I would assume our tank is doing well now. Our striped Danios have grew twice their size since we have had them
smile.png

We were new to Trop tanks & so this baby being found was a huge shock. Ill pop the pictures on now. 

Thank you for your reply
smile.png

Edit; Here are pics now
smile.png

1 has the black spot as can be seen and the other is just rounded off if you need any other pics i have loads lol as they would not keep still for me. The second pic is blurry ((sorry)) this one is from the breeder we got her today but she is 1 of the largest Mollies and is rather round in the tum!

2ntfi9e.jpg

1z5hoqo.jpg

Everyone will need to more more stats. Sounds like you have a lot of fish...how big is your tank? I have Mollies and Guppies myself but you have tetras and danios besides. Most of the fry wouldn't stand a chance in a tank with that many fish. It is more than likely either a Mollie or Guppy baby. I have an easier time telling when my Guppies are going to drop than my Mollies. Especially if they are young. You can post a pic of the fry (baby) and see if others can tell you but outside of that it would be a waiting.

I only have 2 male guppies so unless they have bred with molly its not a guppy fry.
We have a 4x2x2 tanks and have 8 danios, 2 gups, 6 mollies and 4 neons

Thanks

Well there are no hidden babies in the tank have had it all out for a quick clean today and all is clear now no fry hanging about. So stir Fry is our only survivor :( 

Keeping an eye on the other 2 as they look a little more fat today but had gorged on Blood Worm not long before. 

Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back