Moderators

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sadly, if we pinned a post about blue lobsters being aggresive we'd also have to pin one about just about every other species that are sold as community fish by ill informed fish stores which then eat their way through their tankmates.

Puffers are a prime example.

Many years ago i got myself a red lobster and she seemed fine with my tropical community and then my fish started to disappear and i would find bits of them in her cave. she sadly had to go but i was told by the pet shop owner that she would be fine in a community tank.
sadly not :(

Besides which most of the pinned topics seemed to be ignored anyways I think. Seems no matter what you do, people don't look at the information already at hand or and many won't listen when you warn them.

All the above makes sense and I was under the same impression as SirMinion. I guess one can't post warnings about every 'non-community placed in a community will hurt you' as a pin. SH

Not to mention some fish are good in a community, just not the usual one people think of. I mean, barbs and guppies, don't mix, same thing for most neons and angels, yet these are usually considered 'community' fish. So, I have to say you just have to research until your brain explodes about the basic guidelines for each fish you might want to get.

I hate to be cynical but it doesn't seem like any of these things are ever going to work. People think they can defy nature and mix animals that don't mix, or do things that will not work. It's only through bad experiences that some people finally get it.

years ago....
I put a blue lobster, a big one, in the tank with my Red Snakehead...
I figured it would be the only thing that could live with the Snakehead....besides the foot long placo in there...

Things went great :)

....then one day... about a month or so down the road....
i noticed what appeared to be the lobster, only looking real pale...
...looking closer... he was gone!! and only his shell remained...

The Snake head had been just sitting and waiting for mulch day....
As soon as that lobster mulched, it was supper.. ;)

So the snakehead got a great lobster dinner :)

Agressiveness depends on which side of the fence youre standing on ;)

Walt

i think what we should do is to make a list of fish sold as community fish but arent. then we should pin that list. would make it a lot easier. and maybe admin could put it in teh activation email.

People will always buy incompatible fish, they will always kill each other, then the person will research to find out why they killed each other.

This cycle can't be broken since most people just don't research until after the fact.

It just takes a disaster to prompt someone to research, then they start becoming fishkeepers. All we can do is be here to tell new fishkeepers again and again what species are compatible.

I guess I sorta agree with Undawada, but, I think the suggestion by Fishy411 is not a bad one. We have posts on cloudy tank, cycling fishless, etc, why not a brief list of 'community advertised, but ill fated tankmates'. Again, someone could argue that the list could potentially be endless, as you can make up any bad combo of fish or inverts you want. SH

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back