Mixing African Cichlids With New World Cichlids...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

trout_pout

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've seen in a few places in Cardiff, tanks containing both African cichlids and New world Cichlids. Which look really cool by the way.

I've seen a few tanks that have Severums, Parrot fish, Keyhole cichlids mixed in with Rainbow Fish as well as some African cichlids such as yellow labs.

I was wondering how compatible the two groups of fish are supposed to be (from your knowledge), because they looked pretty calm in the tanks that I've seen.

I'm sure I read somewhere before that if you stuck an african cichlid in with a severum, parrot fish etc. there would be World War 3 going on in the tank.

i see the other day, at a lfs they had a tank with rainbows and African cichlids couldent believe it, also i saw a electric blue jack dempssey in with african cichlids,

u could mix them but i wouldent recommend it you are throwing the dice with that one

It isnt really the aggression thats the major problem. African cichlids are more aggresive than CA / SA cichlids but the water parameters they both require are competely different. The african cichlids thrive in water with a ph of 7.8-8.2 where as you SA/ CA want to be below 7.5. Then there is feeding african cichlid are hebivourous fish and some are omnivorous and eat small crustracions there digestinal tract cant digest rich meaty food often leading to bloat. Where as your SA / CA cichlids need a meaty diet.

It isnt really the aggression thats the major problem. African cichlids are more aggresive than CA / SA cichlids but the water parameters they both require are competely different. The african cichlids thrive in water with a ph of 7.8-8.2 where as you SA/ CA want to be below 7.5. Then there is feeding african cichlid are hebivourous fish and some are omnivorous and eat small crustracions there digestinal tract cant digest rich meaty food often leading to bloat. Where as your SA / CA cichlids need a meaty diet.
I am not disagreeing with you as to different PHs, however a way to get around it is that some of the chains and independent fish stores' suppliers have raised several or even many generations of cichlids to a mid level pH and omnivorous commercial pellets diet. I add occasional fly larvae, worms, aquatic or approved terrestrial plants as a treat and have ridges, tunnels, caves, jungles, open spaces. For cichlids a shelter for each is important, plus a few extra in case there is a shuffling of territories. In my own experience (quite a few years --40 plus) even with an adequate shelters and ample tank room, large enough group to distract aggression there can still be casualties and necessitating removal of a die-hard bully.

I would suggest careful studying of pairings of various species. The lists are usually written by people who have tried and experienced successful or unsuccessful tank mate pairing.

I have a large golden lab that is by himself because of aggression problems, but I continue to try different suitably sized companions. I am growing a companion size golden lab to size. The second lab's home is a community tank where it is the only cichlid except for angelfish. The other companions are a group of Albino Cories, killifish, white clouds and all coexsist peacefully.

Above all I am always adding an improvement to my fishe's limited world. More shelters, varied diet, another or better filter, more plants. My fish all seem happily busy. If you aren't already, get tuned in to your fish's behaviors/moods.

Bring on the rains with the water changes. Note how your fish enjoy the fresh water. Let it bring joy to you that you are bringing joy to your fish with fresh water. It will make it less of a chore.

This is completely random but how do I write my own forum?

I've seen in a few places in Cardiff, tanks containing both African cichlids and New world Cichlids. Which look really cool by the way.

I've seen a few tanks that have Severums, Parrot fish, Keyhole cichlids mixed in with Rainbow Fish as well as some African cichlids such as yellow labs.

I was wondering how compatible the two groups of fish are supposed to be (from your knowledge), because they looked pretty calm in the tanks that I've seen.

I'm sure I read somewhere before that if you stuck an african cichlid in with a severum, parrot fish etc. there would be World War 3 going on in the tank.
An acquaintance of mine has a blood parrot and an Oscar that were constantly battling. We did some research and she brought in a Severum and a large Synodontis Catfish. The Oscar and B. Parrot battle less. The Severum has become more confident but is outweighed by the either the Oscar or the Parrot. But is much more agile and quick than either. The Synodontis Occilifer is quick and has become ignored. The situation is constantly improving. She has open spaces and jungles with pathways. She is thinking about adding a peaceful cichlid that can hold it's own like a chocolate ciclid and/or another Synodontis. I always recommend a busy cleaner fish, especially with messy eaters.

Hi Yasmin and welcome to the forum :)

I assume you mean how do you start your own thread.

At the top of the page is a link called Forums. Click that link and you will go to this page.
http://www.fishforums.net/

Scroll down the Forum page and find a heading that you want to start a thread in. A thread is a page like the one we're using now. When you find the heading you click it. Two commonly used headings for people that are new here includes:
http://www.fishforums.net/forums/welcome-introduce-yourself-learn-more-about-tff.8/
and
http://www.fishforums.net/forums/new-to-the-hobby-questions-and-answers.26/

If you go to those links and scroll down to the bottom of the page, on the right hand side is a button called "Post New Thread". Click that and it will open a new page where you can type in information, include a title, and you can add pictures if you like.

Once you have written your thread, scroll down to just underneath where you wrote stuff and there should be a button called "Create Thread". Click that and it will be posted.

If you make errors in it, you can click the "Edit" button on bottom left, and make changes before saving it.

ps: don't get too carried away with this thread, it's from 2007. :)

Hi Yasmin and welcome to the forum :)

I assume you mean how do you start your own thread.

At the top of the page is a link called Forums. Click that link and you will go to this page.
http://www.fishforums.net/

Scroll down the Forum page and find a heading that you want to start a thread in. A thread is a page like the one we're using now. When you find the heading you click it. Two commonly used headings for people that are new here includes:
http://www.fishforums.net/forums/welcome-introduce-yourself-learn-more-about-tff.8/
and
http://www.fishforums.net/forums/new-to-the-hobby-questions-and-answers.26/

If you go to those links and scroll down to the bottom of the page, on the right hand side is a button called "Post New Thread". Click that and it will open a new page where you can type in information, include a title, and you can add pictures if you like.

Once you have written your thread, scroll down to just underneath where you wrote stuff and there should be a button called "Create Thread". Click that and it will be posted.

If you make errors in it, you can click the "Edit" button on bottom left, and make changes before saving it.

ps: don't get too carried away with this thread, it's from 2007. :)
What is wrong with liking good vintage? :) I just got back after an illness absence. Have to relearn to renavigate the site. I thought it was current because it was in the general topic area. But thanks. Don't the older threads get gradually buried by the newer ones. Anyway I volunteer for the ACLU, and am a firm believer of personal freedoms and that includes free dom of speech. I try not be rude, pushy, or hurtful but rather helpful. That was very nice you were quickly on spot to guide that new member through the steps of creating a thread.
I would still like to know know who and why this unpleasant title of fish fanatic is decided and how one goes about changing it ? I have been on the board of directors while being a working volunteer while working and am hardly a " fanatic " and then as now find the terms or title undignified. How does one become simply a member?

I would still like to know know who and why this unpleasant title of fish fanatic is decided and how one goes about changing it ?
LOL :)

Titles change as your post count increases. There are a number of titles you get and they start beginner and work their way up to member. Once you get past a certain number of posts it will automatically change to the next title and so on.

Most reactions

trending

Back