Mixed Loaches

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish_4_life

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a yo yo/packistani loach and a golden sucking loach which weirdly have started spawning together, they follow each other around all day lie next to each other and swim erraticly around each other. I just wanted to know if its possible for them to actually cross breed?

Cheers

Dan

I wouldn't think so, Pakastani loaches are Botia while Golden Sucking Loaches are entirely a different species. The Pakastani loach is a social loach and likes being in a group while the golden sucking loach (other wise known as a Chinese Algea Eater) is more solitary when mature and can get very aggressive towards other fish.

No worries, personally I would keep the golden sucking loach but have a back up plan if/ once it starts bullying other fish in the tank, also as they mature not only do they usually get aggressive they also eat less algea in the tank.
If you have the room, you should try to increase the Pakastani loaches numbers a minimum of 3 with being 6 + optimum. They don't get a s big as clown loaches, but a full grown Pakastani loach is still a substancial fish.

yep I had a chinese algae eater that snuck in w a batch of otocinclus. He turned into a nightmare. As soon as he claims a territory expect to start seeing sores on the sides of your fishes. Gouramies are their favorite victims, but they can harass just about any fish that tries to feed by slamming into them as they swim to the top.

I concur with other members, and will strongly emphasize that the yo yo loach (Botia almorhae is the species) must have a group.  Botia species loaches are highly social fish, and they develop a hierarchy that is essential to their long-term health.  But, this species attains six inches, and that means a 4-foot tank (a 3-foot might manage).  Lots of cbhunbks of wood for hiding spots, and each loach likes to select his "home."

If you cannot provide this, it would be best for the loach to return it.  While it may seem "OK" now, it is not, and stress will take its toll and weaken the fish, causing health issues and a premature demise.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back