~~Missing Neons~~

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

chicklet

Reaction score
I have a 50 gallon tank and love it!  I especially love schooling fish and watching them move together around the tank.  I have had neon tetras in the tank for months but recently can't keep them.  Yesterday I added 10 neons and woke up to 2!  I'm assuming somebody is eating them.  I'm just interested in opinions as to who I should point fingers to!  So I have 8 mollies, 2 snails, a catfish (he's big), a pleco (hugemungous.......(width of my hand spread)), a red tailled shark.....3-4inches, 1 swordfish, 2 clown loach, and 2 frogs.  My tank has a few real plants and lots of hiding places but I never see them again.  If a fish......like the pleco gets too big......will a pet store take it back?  Just want to watch my fish in peace with no hungry friends in the tank!
Thanks

IMO think the Red Tailed Shark is your no.1 suspect

These can be aggressive and territorial and they do eat small fish.

Once they have developed a taste for neons there is not much you can do, perhaps feeding different forms of frozen bloodworms, brine shrimps may help to deter him eating those neons........

+2 
also the clown loaches need at least a 75 and groups of 6 .

chicklet said:
 a catfish (he's big)

My money is on this guy. Is he a Feather Fin? If so, I can say for sure that it was him, don't ask how I know.....

There's a reason I have Colombian Tetras now instead of Neons.

feathercat.jpg

Catfish is suspect no.2

Have to say gotta agree with crash's above statement, I actually overlooked the catfish and went straight to RTS. 

I have heard of 4" catfish eating neons for lunch! No dead bodies or nothing too.

Basically don't get any more neons.............

or re-home both the catfish (what species is this by the way?) and RTS if you want a decent schooling size of neons.

Mollies, swordtails, plecos, and the clown loaches don't eat neon tetras. So absolutely has to be one of the two above or more likely both are eating neons as a snack!

Would recommend re-home the clowns as well, your tank too small as you would need a 6 foot tank at least, also need numbers to be  6+ as ncguppy mentioned earlier.

Sorry to be negative on your tank stock list....better you know now and get more suitable tank stocking and feel better for it too.

Don't forget the frogs - might not be getting adequate food and turned on live prey ;)

So here are a few pictures of the culprits in the tank!  Thank you so much for all the feedback.  I don't know much about the loaches as I am fostering them for a friend......her tank sprung a leak so they are with me until her tank is up ad running.  But Thanks for the info......I shall pass it on. I'm not sure the types of pleco and such so here are a few pics of my fishes!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back