Minimum Tank Size For One Axolotl

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kelly-Jo

Fishaholic
Reaction score
What is the minimum tank size for an axolotl's entire life from juvenile to adult if housed individually? How difficult are they to feed and look after?

You can get by with a 10 gallon if kept individually and you are good about water changes - at 15 gallon or a 20 long would be better.

When you think about the fact that they typically grow to be about 9-10 inches in captivity, larger if the water parameters are excellent and nutritional levels are top notch, it will give you a very good idea of how big the tank should be. THe length of the tank is much more important than the height because they tend to stay on the bottom a lot. I would suggest nothing shorter than a 4 foot tank.

When you think about the fact that they typically grow to be about 9-10 inches in captivity, larger if the water parameters are excellent and nutritional levels are top notch, it will give you a very good idea of how big the tank should be. THe length of the tank is much more important than the height because they tend to stay on the bottom a lot. I would suggest nothing shorter than a 4 foot tank.

While they is a proper size estimate, it is not like a fish that swims back and forth. An adult axolotl is one of the laziest pets you can own. A 4-foot is the recommended size for 2-3 axolotls.

So could I keep a healthy adult axolotl in a 50L?

Don't get fooled in to the same mentality as the betta only needs a 1 gallon tank. I have a friend who has an axolotl and it doesn't just sit in one spot, it does move around the tank. It's up to you, I personally think it's cruel if the tank is small.

I was recommended a 2 foot long tank.

I got my axolotls a few months ago and 3-4-5 months later they are about 8inches in length. They are sometimes lazy but they are quite active and quite nosey things.

My axolotls are about 13" now and they do like to walk around. 10 gals of water and at very least, 2ft of walking space, imo. The more the better!

I agree, a one foot aquatic anything should not be crammed in a ten gallon.

20long BARE MINIMUM, 30long would be better.

Thanks guys :) I think in the summer I'll look for a second-hand 120L for a few axolotls.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back