Mineral additive recommendations (UK members)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I am having difficulties finding a mineral additive for my 10g guppy tank. I need this to make my water more hardy as it’s generally soft water provided in my local area. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thank you.

Get a Rift Lake water conditioner. It is a white powder sold by most pet shops or you can buy it online. It will increase the GH, KH and pH. At full strength it will increase the GH by about 400ppm. Depending on what your GH is will determine the dose rate you use. Livebearers need a GH around 200-300ppm (250ppm+ for mollies).

You have to mix the water and Rift Lake conditioner up for about 24 hours before using it. The best way to do this is to fill a big bucket with tap water and add the appropriate amount of Rift Lake conditioner. Aerate the mixture for 24 hours and then use it to do water changes. If you have chloramine in your tap water then you should add a dechlorinator about 30minutes before using it.

Get a Rift Lake water conditioner. It is a white powder sold by most pet shops or you can buy it online. It will increase the GH, KH and pH. At full strength it will increase the GH by about 400ppm. Depending on what your GH is will determine the dose rate you use. Livebearers need a GH around 200-300ppm (250ppm+ for mollies).

You have to mix the water and Rift Lake conditioner up for about 24 hours before using it. The best way to do this is to fill a big bucket with tap water and add the appropriate amount of Rift Lake conditioner. Aerate the mixture for 24 hours and then use it to do water changes. If you have chloramine in your tap water then you should add a dechlorinator about 30minutes before using it.

Many thanks for your response. I have had a look online. Unfortunately the only one I have been able to find is riftlake cichild salt. This recommeneded product may not be available in the UK. Thank you.

Are you in the UK?

Rift Lake cichlid salt should be the same as Rift Lake water conditioner. It should contain calcium and magnesium chloride, and calcium and magnesium carbonate/ bicarbonates, as well as a few other minerals.

The only other way to increase GH is to add limestone, sandstone, dead coral skeleton, coral rubble or shells to the aquarium. They are calcium based and will raise the pH to about.8.5 and will slowly increase the GH. But it will be slow, so don't expect a sudden jump in GH if you use any of these. They will help but they aren't as good as the Rift Lake conditioner.

Is this OK Colin - https://seachem.co.uk/product/seachem-cichlid-lake-salt/
It's available on Amazon and Ebay, and various on-line shops. One of those is Maidenhead Aquatics, but I know that not all products are stocked at every branch.

Or is this better since guppies come from central America - https://seachem.co.uk/product/seachem-americn-cichlid-salt/
This is also on Amazon, Ebay and several on-line shops.

But don't forget that if you add Rift Lake salts, you won't be able to keep soft water fish like neons.

The SeaChem cichlid lake salt should be fine.

My guess is both of those SeaChem products are the same thing with different labels. They just use a lower dose rate for the American cichlids and a higher dose rate for the different African Rift Lakes.

You find out what your current GH is and add enough of the Rift Lake salts to increase your GH to about 200-300ppm.

Are you in the UK?

Rift Lake cichlid salt should be the same as Rift Lake water conditioner. It should contain calcium and magnesium chloride, and calcium and magnesium carbonate/ bicarbonates, as well as a few other minerals.

The only other way to increase GH is to add limestone, sandstone, dead coral skeleton, coral rubble or shells to the aquarium. They are calcium based and will raise the pH to about.8.5 and will slowly increase the GH. But it will be slow, so don't expect a sudden jump in GH if you use any of these. They will help but they aren't as good as the Rift Lake conditioner.

Many thanks for your response. I am in the UK yes, I’d rather not add anything other than minerals to the water but this was also useful! Is there a possibility that adding the salt could raise the GH and PH too much? I will definitely purchase and add this in with my water changes. Thanks again for solving my problem :)

Last edited:
Is this OK Colin - https://seachem.co.uk/product/seachem-cichlid-lake-salt/
It's available on Amazon and Ebay, and various on-line shops. One of those is Maidenhead Aquatics, but I know that not all products are stocked at every branch.

Or is this better since guppies come from central America - https://seachem.co.uk/product/seachem-americn-cichlid-salt/
This is also on Amazon, Ebay and several on-line shops.

But don't forget that if you add Rift Lake salts, you won't be able to keep soft water fish like neons.

Many thanks for clearing this up for me! One of these is what I was referring to in my previous post. Which out of the two would you recommend? I think I can manage not having neons as beautiful as they are! Is there any other fish I can add in that will tolerate the salt? Preferably colourful ones, if not I would be more than happy to just add more guppies. However I was considering changing things up a bit. Thank you.

Last edited:
The SeaChem cichlid lake salt should be fine.

My guess is both of those SeaChem products are the same thing with different labels. They just use a lower dose rate for the American cichlids and a higher dose rate for the different African Rift Lakes.

You find out what your current GH is and add enough of the Rift Lake salts to increase your GH to about 200-300ppm.

Thanks for confirming that they are pretty much the same. Having two to choose from has made it more difficult though I must say. I’m quite indecisive unfortunately. I’m not sure what these readings would be with the test kit I use. I use tetra 6 in 1 water test strips. For ammonia I use the tetra ammonia test kit. This is a liquid test kit as opposed to strips. Many thanks.

Is there a possibility that adding the salt could raise the GH and PH too much?

Yes.

You would need to experiment in a bucket of water to find out how much of the salts you would need to add to get the GH to where you want it. Once you know how much to add to get the right GH you would then prepare the water change water in advance adding exactly the right amount of salts to keep the GH exactly the same at every water change. You would never be able to use just plain water again as this would change the GH.
This is why we always say it is easier to keep fish suited to your water :)

Yes.

You would need to experiment in a bucket of water to find out how much of the salts you would need to add to get the GH to where you want it. Once you know how much to add to get the right GH you would then prepare the water change water in advance adding exactly the right amount of salts to keep the GH exactly the same at every water change. You would never be able to use just plain water again as this would change the GH.
This is why we always say it is easier to keep fish suited to your water :)

Many thanks for your reply. I understand that for the guppies to be healthy this is what I need. As tricky as I know this might be this is the only option I have. After all you can’t change nature. Does the salt have to be dissolved when added? After some browsing I have found another alternative salt water conditioner on eBay. Does this look suitable? Thank you for your help. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-Aqua...973194&hash=item260223c541:g:AroAAOSw5-lbkl02

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
read post #2.

it doesn't say what's in it but it looks like it buffs KH not GH

I did think the same as you about it not stating what’s actually in the product. However people seem to purchase it and I’ve only seen good feedback. I have seen a different type of conditioner from the same brand that aims to increase the GH and PH. After speaking to the seller he has confirmed that he uses the same in his own endler tank and several guppy breeders preached the same one. I have attached the link below. Many thanks for your help.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-Aqua...rentrq:a50481c21680aa11ca071fd9ffe2e179|iid:1

Last edited:
read post #2.

it doesn't say what's in it but it looks like it buffs KH not GH

Update: I have ordered the salt today. The seller recommended treating 10L of water per change and said the amount varies on what the current GH and and PH is. I hope I have done the right thing and that I won’t regret this later down the line as it will need keeping up with for as long as the tank is running now. I am assuming that when I add this to the water I use water conditioner as useful to de-chlorinate the water? Thank you for your help.

Yes you add a dechlorinator to any new tap water and then aerate it for a bit. Then add the mineral salts and continue aerating the mixture until all the salt is completely dissolved. I like to aerate the mixture for at least 24 hours but most people only aerate it until the salt is dissolved.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back