Midsize Aquarium in Apartment

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sdfssddff

Reaction score
Hi there! Not sure where this thread should be, to be honest...

I have a very weird question!

So I recently purchased a used 29 gallon tank and all the fixings - i ended up spending close to $250 on everything total including the stand and the sand and rocks. I am a pretty experienced aquarium keeper - as I've run a 55 gallon in the past.

My problem is I didn't take a close look at my lease where I live before getting started and it turns out I cannot have a tank larger than 10 gallons! So silly. I asked them that if I had insurance cover it, if that would work, but they answered no. The conclusion is I would have to fill out a reasonable accommodation paper saying I have a disability of some sort.

The only thing I can come up with is writing on the paperwork that I have anxiety and that running water and fish would create a calm space in the apartment. But I can imagine they would just say, "well, ten gallons should be sufficient to create running water and will meet your need" and I would think they would deny me on this.

Any thoughts??? I am looking for advice on what might allow me a good enough excuse to keep an aquarium larger than ten gallons?

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Sarah

Sounds like someone trying to get a doctors certificate to have a sicky at the movies :)

You do have a disability or at least a medical condition, MTS (multiple tank syndrome). It's where you get one tank, then another and another and another...

You could be depressed and suicidal and the fish give you a reason to live. Landlords hate cleaning up suicided tenants because they don't usually find the bodies for a few months and they get pretty gross by that stage.

Yeah, I will have to use the MTS reason for mental disability. That is actually a great idea! lol

I wonder if it'll work to say that the limitation on tank size is a cause for my anxiety... :p

MTS is a psychological disorder similar to OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).

Anxiety is another psychological disorder but tank size is not a cause of anxiety. However, if you live in a bad neighbourhood or have scary neighbours, that could cause anxiety. And if you have to walk up and down stairs to get to the apartment that might cause some anxiety if you have fallen down stairs previously. And if you have to use an elevator/ lift to get to your apartment, that would cause anxiety if you were claustrophobic.

If they won't let you set up the big tank, just get a 10 gallon tank and set that up instead. When you move somewhere else you can set both up :)

How would they know?
What if the tank had a label on the corner that said Fluval 10 Gallon (or whatever brand it is). For all I know you may even have a PDF invoice to confirm that's what you bought :whistle:

tell them you'll pay for any damage the tank causes..cracked ceiling, water damage, etc...and see if a signed form will appease them...you could also offer a larger security deposit if you can afford it....take photos of the ceiling and floor condition and have them sign them before you set up the tank if they agree with your having the tank.

How would they know?
What if the tank had a label on the corner that said Fluval 10 Gallon (or whatever brand it is). For all I know you may even have a PDF invoice to confirm that's what you bought :whistle:
LOL
10 foot long tank across one wall with 10 gallon fluval bio-orb sticker on it :)

I like the idea of the 10 gal sticker.... but I think I will just go with the try my hardest to convince them with letters from previous landlords, and a rider on my insurance policy. If that doesn't work, I think I will stick to a 10 gal for now. :(
I would be so worried that if they eventually did find out, that I would have to either get rid of some fish or in the very least do a time consuming and expensive tear down to two different 10 gallons or something, which would be so unfortunate! Not to mention if they charge me for going against the policy. I will just have to store the 29 gal for when I move to a more permanent housing!
I'll have to update you all later this week when I've got a true answer from the management team! Thanks for all your input!

Most reactions

trending

Back