Middle swimmer suggestions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking of getting one more small school of fish, nothing too large like gourami or anything, as I don't think they'd get along with my angel fish. I was thinking perhaps a school of neon tetras or something of the like.
Any suggestions?

So I was thinking of getting one more small school of fish, nothing too large like gourami or anything, as I don't think they'd get along with my angel fish. I was thinking perhaps a school of neon tetras or something of the like.
Any suggestions?

There are some good shoaling fish to combine with angelfish. Neon tetra is not one of them. Linear fish like neons, glowlights, etc. may quite likely come to be food for mature angelfish. Remember they get to six inches in length with an 8 inch vertical fin span. And you are quite right that similarly-sized fish do not make good tankmates.

The disk-shaped tetras are better, species like Rosy, Bentosi, Roberti, Black or Red Phantom, even Bleeding Heart (with reservation, sometimes can be nippy). BH are also much larger so tank space enters the equation. One benefit of the species mentioned is colour--all (except the Black Phantom) are red, mauve or purplish, depending, a nice combo with the more black and white/silver of angelfish. A group of seven up, depending upon tank size. And all species mentioned tend to remain in the lower half of the aquarium, while angelfish tend to inhabit the mid to upper level.

Byron.

There are some good shoaling fish to combine with angelfish. Neon tetra is not one of them. Linear fish like neons, glowlights, etc. may quite likely come to be food for mature angelfish. Remember they get to six inches in length with an 8 inch vertical fin span. And you are quite right that similarly-sized fish do not make good tankmates.

The disk-shaped tetras are better, species like Rosy, Bentosi, Roberti, Black or Red Phantom, even Bleeding Heart (with reservation, sometimes can be nippy). BH are also much larger so tank space enters the equation. One benefit of the species mentioned is colour--all (except the Black Phantom) are red, mauve or purplish, depending, a nice combo with the more black and white/silver of angelfish. A group of seven up, depending upon tank size. And all species mentioned tend to remain in the lower half of the aquarium, while angelfish tend to inhabit the mid to upper level.

Byron.
really? I thought the larger tetras were prone to be fin nippers. I've always liked the look of them, but I feared they'd harass my angels

Last edited:
really? I thought the larger tetras were prone to be fin nippers. I've always liked the look of them, but I feared they'd harass my angels

Some species (the Serpae or Minor) will absolutely nip the fins of sedate fish, but others won't unless stressed...which applies to most any fish. Those species I mentioned should be OK, with the possible exception of the Bleeding Hearts. These are often suggested for angelfish companions, but I have known of an aquarist who had to remove them due to nipping. The Rosy, Roberti, Phantom species should be fine. I've had these for many years, and never noticed any aggressive behaviours.

Emperor Tetra is sometimes suggested, but I have had real problems with these, so I wouldn't.

One important aspect of aggression is the number in the shoal, and the tank size. The more in the shoal, the less likely trouble will appear, and tank space plays into this too.

Byron.

I found that my Diamond Tetras didn't nip fins. They're quite a good size. Pretty much all deeper bodied tetras/rasboras/barbs would be fine as long as they don't nip.

I went to the LFS and bought some black skirt tetra, I must say these fish are feisty! They tried to nip at me through the tank glass when I got my face too close. I observed their behavior and I saw no aggressive charging/chasing through the water or biting, I'm slowly acclimating them to the water before I put them in quarantine for a few days, my angels seemed pretty excited when I held the bag in front of their tank!

I went to the LFS and bought some black skirt tetra, I must say these fish are feisty! They tried to nip at me through the tank glass when I got my face too close. I observed their behavior and I saw no aggressive charging/chasing through the water or biting, I'm slowly acclimating them to the water before I put them in quarantine for a few days, my angels seemed pretty excited when I held the bag in front of their tank!

If you can take them back, you should, immediately. This is one of the worst species to combined with angels. They are known fin nippers, and aggressive beyond that. Please do not put these in with angelfish, it will stress them severely.

Thing might seem "OK" at first, because fish take a bit of getting settled, and often their true nature is not apparent for a while. But it will be, believe me.

Byron.

I agree with Byron they are aggressive, I call my Black skirt tetras piranhas especially when it's feeding time,

If you can take them back, you should, immediately. This is one of the worst species to combined with angels. They are known fin nippers, and aggressive beyond that. Please do not put these in with angelfish, it will stress them severely.

Thing might seem "OK" at first, because fish take a bit of getting settled, and often their true nature is not apparent for a while. But it will be, believe me.

Byron.
I did as you suggested and got black tetras :|

So I'm a bit confused, hopefully I can return them. If not, my Uncle has some expensive feeder fish for his oscars. I'm not quite sure what do do anymore. I guess I'm stuck with angels and cory cats.

I agree with Byron they are aggressive, I call my Black skirt tetras piranhas especially when it's feeding time,
Well I will return them if I can or get rid of them another way, I'm not sure what to get when further stocking my tank. I cant get tetras, I can't get linear fish, I can't get more angels, I can't get more bottom feeders because, frankly, I have enough. I'm at a loss for what to get. I love my angels, but I would like another fish species to watch besides them :|

Any suggestions?

According to my 'Aquarium Industries Freshwater Fish Compatibility Chart', fish such as rainbowfish, loaches and mollies are compatible with angelfish, though I'm not sure how accurate the thing is. Wouldn't hurt to double check if you're interested in one of these fish. Please note I have never had angelfish and am just going of what it it says. I hope this is of some use.

I did as you suggested and got black tetras :|

So I'm a bit confused, hopefully I can return them. If not, my Uncle has some expensive feeder fish for his oscars. I'm not quite sure what do do anymore. I guess I'm stuck with angels and cory cats.

The problem with forums is that one never knows for certain the level of knowledge another member has when a question is asked. It seems I should have been more specific in my original list of possible tankmates. The "Black or Red Phantom" was meant to be the Black Phantom Tetra or the Red Phantom Tetra, not Black Skirts (which are often known as Black Widow).

There are possible tankmates, I listed several previously. Just keep a lookout for those, and if you like them, they should be fine in a group of 7-10. Here they are again:

Rosy Tetra
Roberti Tetra
Bentosi Tetra
Red Phantom Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra [these are not very colourful with angelfish]

Diamond Tetra were mentioned by another member, and these should be OK with angelfish. I personally would not combine these, primarily because the Diamonds lack the colour (their sparkle like diamonds is beautiful but not something that would stand out like the other fish) and they are a bit active by comparison, and too much of this can bother sedate angelfish.

Another member has mentioned loaches, but if you have cories you don't want loaches. Besides, you asked about upper water fish.

The problem with forums is that one never knows for certain the level of knowledge another member has when a question is asked. It seems I should have been more specific in my original list of possible tankmates. The "Black or Red Phantom" was meant to be the Black Phantom Tetra or the Red Phantom Tetra, not Black Skirts (which are often known as Black Widow).

There are possible tankmates, I listed several previously. Just keep a lookout for those, and if you like them, they should be fine in a group of 7-10. Here they are again:

Rosy Tetra
Roberti Tetra
Bentosi Tetra
Red Phantom Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra [these are not very colourful with angelfish]

Diamond Tetra were mentioned by another member, and these should be OK with angelfish. I personally would not combine these, primarily because the Diamonds lack the colour (their sparkle like diamonds is beautiful but not something that would stand out like the other fish) and they are a bit active by comparison, and too much of this can bother sedate angelfish.

Another member has mentioned loaches, but if you have cories you don't want loaches. Besides, you asked about upper water fish.
I did see a sign for rosy tetra at the LFS but they were sold out, as well as another "red" tetra. To be clear

You mean this is a rosy tetra
hyphessobrycon-rosaceus.jpg

And NOT this "red" tetra right?
red_phantom_tetra_1_by_elfchild85-d6nl0y3.jpg

I did see a sign for rosy tetra at the LFS but they were sold out, as well as another "red" tetra. To be clear

You mean this is a rosy tetra
hyphessobrycon-rosaceus.jpg

And NOT this "red" tetra right?
red_phantom_tetra_1_by_elfchild85-d6nl0y3.jpg

Correct. Common names can really be problematic, as they tend to vary from country to country, and even region to region, in many cases. Only last week in another thread, a member from the UK referred to "red neons" which in NA are called "cardinal tetra," never red neon tetra. I knew what he meant, but this is a very simple example of how confusing common names can be for many.

The lower photo in your post is a nasty little fish, a notorious fin nipper of almost anything else in the tank, unless kept in large groups, but even then never with sedate or long-fin fish. I have seen this fish referred to as Serpae Tetra, Red Minor Tetra, Red Tetra...and probably other names if I could remember them all. The species is Hyphessobrycon eques. Unfortunately, it is one of several species of tetra that have some very striking similarities, so it can get confused. The dark (usually black) oblong "shoulder patch" or "humeral spot" as it is termed, the black blotch in the dorsal fin, and the overall reddish colour (some species like the Black Phantom lack the reddish colour) are three identifiers. Often, but not always, there is some white in the dorsal fin. There are some 30 species in this "clade" that include the fish I have previously suggested, and obviously many others. Temperament and behaviours are similar for some of them, but there are exceptions like this Serpae Tetra.

If you look at the top photo in your post, the Rosy Tetra, you will clearly see that it has the same identifiers I mentioned in the preceding paragraph. But two species could not be more unlike each other in temperament that these two in the photos. I will post some links to the fish I earlier mentioned to be clear.

Rosy Tetra:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hyphessobrycon-rosaceus/
Roberti Tetra:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hyphessobrycon-bentosi/
Red Phantom Tetra [the photos here do not do this fish justice, I have a group of 15 and it is one of the most brilliant red fish I have ever seen]:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hyphessobrycon-sweglesi/
Black Phantom Tetra [not very colourful with angelfish, but a peaceful shoaling fish]:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hyphessobrycon-megalopterus/

I have kept all of these, some for many years, so don't hesitate to ask questions. The characins are also one area of particular interest to me.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back