MIA rope fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

scottminot

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought a rope fish about a week ago and it's missing in action. They are some good escape artists. I put him in my 125 gallon and he managed to escape yesterday through a 1/4" gap between the cover and Emperor filter. I found him hiding inside the filter and returned him to the tank.
Well tonight he went MIA again. I've checked the filters, overturned all my rocks, and I sifted through the substrate and couldn't find him. I searched all over the house with no luck. I don't know where the thing could have gone. It's about 10" long so it's not hard to miss. I'm stumped!! This sucks!

I found an Oscar in a closet several days after it had gone missing.
It had apparently flipped and flopped all the way across the living room during the night.

I'm beginning to think it is a ghost! :crazy:
I've looked everywhere possible for this thing tonight. The only thing I can think of is that it might have burrowed deep into the gravel substrate and I missed it somehow.
My weather loach escaped from my 30 gallon once and went into the intake of my forced air furnace. I was lucky enough to witness it happen and save him in time. I hope the rope fish didn't make his way to the same place. :-(

Sorry to hear it buddy, unfortunatly rope fish can move with quite a bit of speed, guess its time to put rfid tags in your fish and track them throught the house.

Could he be IN the filter pad? One other member here posted something similar to this, and found him later, buried in the filter pad. What tankmates does he have?
Sean

We had one for a week once then he vanished.

We searched everywhere but eventually gave up and blamed the cat.

Four years later we moved the tank and found him perfectly dried & preserved under the base of the stand.

We've still got him.

rope.jpg

He must have jumped ship, hopefully not, but if it turns out he did, then I'm sorry for your loss. :(

I got lucky, mine doesnt have the escape-artist mentality that many ropefish have. He sleeps coiled up in his log during the day, and stalks about at night or if there is food in the tank, alongside my other bichirs.

I just worry my Ornate will eat him by accident one day. :/

BichirKeeper said:
He must have jumped ship, hopefully not, but if it turns out he did, then I'm sorry for your loss. :( I got lucky, mine doesnt have the escape-artist mentality that many ropefish have.

Same here, but mine swims around 24/7 :hyper:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back