Meet Nemo.....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

smudge_

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Meet my new fighter
smile.png
  (he is in a community tank, I know many disagree with this, but I cant really justify the costs of a tank for a single fish - just my personal view and he is only in with a few pgymy corys and some tetras, he has the run of a fairly lightly populated tank)  

Oh and the name is because my non fish keeping housemates found the idea of an empty tank cycling stupid and kept asking if I had found Nemo yet to put in it,  he was the first fish released into the tank.... thus Nemo.  Not overly original I know, but it works

10931251_1554702108115856_7789539558047104043_n.jpg

10635980_1554511394801594_4771717425793932580_n.jpg

10943884_1554510934801640_703322733153634447_n.jpg

10929957_1554509798135087_2704314892162151892_n.jpg

Beautiful fish, im not sure what type of fighter he is (i've had a few fighters, I think those were called crown tails but this one is different?) .  He has been in the tank about 24 hours and is still being a bit iffy, mostly hiding under a log while even the pygmys have started to move around but I think he is ok, it was an hours drive around some fairly bumpy roads so he is probably pretty stressed.

Anyway, il show you his tank when its finished (its been cycled for ages, but some online plants annoyingly are very late.)  This type of fighter in this colour is probably common as muck, but I just wanted to show you what I think is a very pretty fish.

He is much better today 
smile.png
 got home from work, put the light on and he is swimming about normally now.    Must have been a rough day yesterday

10801829_1554778681441532_9094582326229095777_n.jpg

Oh and the name is because my non fish keeping housemates found the idea of an empty tank cycling stupid and kept asking if I had found Nemo yet to put in it,  he was the first fish released into the tank.... thus Nemo.  Not overly original I know, but it works

I always call my clownfish nemo so a little more original than that! Lovely looking fish

He is a very lovely red veiltail (VT) betta.  Very nice and healthy looking.  As far as the community tank goes, the fish you have in with him should work out ok.  Just watch that the tetras don't get nippy toward him since he has such long flowing fins.  If they do start getting nippy and Nemo is not acting stressed out about it, you can try adding more tetras of the same type to help alleviate the nippy nature of these fish.  If they are stressing out Nemo then you might have to rethink the community tank idea with these fish.  Also watch to make sure Nemo doesn't start trying to kill the tetras once he is settled in which is another sign that the community tank occupants will not work out.  Cories tend to be good tankmates for bettas since they stay on the bottom of the tank or at least lower in the water column than the betta.  This however does not mean that Nemo won't be aggressive to them so just keep an eye out.  The other thing to watch is make sure that Nemo is not overeating.  This is a major issue in community tank bettas since overeating and bloating are problems for bettas.

Brilly91 said:

I always call my clownfish nemo so a little more original than that! Lovely looking fish

Oh Clowns, I would kill for a marine tank and will get one someday, (I can't get past the whole buying water thing atm) but those fish are so beautiful! Very jealous!

Wildbetta said:
He is a very lovely red veiltail (VT) betta.  Very nice and healthy looking.  As far as the community tank goes, the fish you have in with him should work out ok.  Just watch that the tetras don't get nippy toward him since he has such long flowing fins.  If they do start getting nippy and Nemo is not acting stressed out about it, you can try adding more tetras of the same type to help alleviate the nippy nature of these fish.  If they are stressing out Nemo then you might have to rethink the community tank idea with these fish.  Also watch to make sure Nemo doesn't start trying to kill the tetras once he is settled in which is another sign that the community tank occupants will not work out.  Cories tend to be good tankmates for bettas since they stay on the bottom of the tank or at least lower in the water column than the betta.  This however does not mean that Nemo won't be aggressive to them so just keep an eye out.  The other thing to watch is make sure that Nemo is not overeating.  This is a major issue in community tank bettas since overeating and bloating are problems for bettas.

Thank you for a very helpful post
smile.png
   It is early days yet, but I have never even seen the Tetras even go near Nemo, none of the fish do.   The Pgymy's swim around with the tetras a lot and both sit on the frog (oddly) but the fighter seems to always be on the far side of the tank.  Which I imagine is a good thing for all involved?

I got the rest of the plants in and this is the tank:

10926428_1555292094723524_7550877206982329592_n.jpg

It may not be very fancy, but I hope it will give everyone plenty of space and plants to play in.   Nemo seems happy enough anyway,

Nice tank and betta. I also had no problems mixing a male betta and cories. But some tetras can be nippy. What kind of tetras do u have?

ember tetras, i honestly havent seen thrm even go near the fighter nevermind nip him, but its still very early days and I know that could change

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back