Meds overdose?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Just keep the water clean for a few more days and see if it improves. The fish won't starve during that time.

The fish started to display dropsi symptoms today.. yesterday i thought i saw a bit of scales pertruding and today its for sure.. He still isnt eating.. it been a week since the last treatment and im thinking to start a treatment now with furanol, what do you think?

You may as well try an antibiotic now. The water is good and the fish hasn't shown any other symptoms besides stress colour and scales sticking out so try something to treat internal bacterial infections and see how it goes.

Most anti-biotics should be dosed each day for between 1 & 2 weeks. Wipe the inside of the container and change all the water each day before retreating the container.

Im also thinking using praziquantl.. Im pretty sure the original problem was parasitses and i also read that some parasites can cause dropsy especially if you wait and not treating them. From what ive checked Furanol and prazi can be used together..What do you think?

Praziquantel treats tapeworm and gill flukes and neither of these parasites cause dropsy in fish. I would just use an anti-biotic and if the fish lives and starts feeding again, then dose with Praziquantel after you have finished the course of anti-biotics, if you like.

Dropsy is normally caused by an internal bacterial infection or internal protozoan infection. The protozoan infection can normally be treated with Metronidazole but bacterial infections are usually treated with anti-biotics.

I did a reasearch now about salt treatmetn for dropsy So many articles and videos,and no even one is saying the same thing.. some says 1/8 teaspoon per 10 g some are saying 1 teaspoon per 10 g and some are saying 1 teaspoon per 1 g! some saying that aquarium salt is bad some are saying that this is good. some saying to do a bath some saying doing a dip..right now im thinking of trying to do a bath with epsom salt but even with this there are milion dosages.. some saying half a teaspon per G some saying 4 teaspoon per G.... What d you think?

If you are going to use salt (sodium chloride) to treat freshwater fishes, you use 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt, sea salt or swimming pool salt per 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres of water.
This dose rate is for soft water fish like tetras, barbs, gouramis, Corydoras, angelfish, rasboras & loaches.

--------------------
If you have livebearers, rainbowfishes or other fish that can tolerate salt, then you start with 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, you can double that so there is 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

--------------------
You add the salt to the tank and keep the salt in there for at least 2 weeks but no more than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in soft water fishes than in fish that can tolerate salt. The fish live in the brackish (salty) water and you do not move them out or give them dips.

After the fish have recovered (2-4 weeks), you do a 10% water change each day for a week. Then 20% each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes again.

The salt will not affect filter bacteria, however the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back