Meds overdose?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

helptoall

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, i have a jewel ciclid that was in a tank 2 other ciclids. He got bullied around and became very pale and then started to spit out the food which he hasnt been doing before. I moved him to a 60 L Quarantine, at first thinking that he might get better with some rest. He was spitting out the food so i switched to a very small pellets. Those he ate but only a few at a time. After 2 days he started to spit them as well. I also noticed that when he is trying to eat sometimes he shakes his head like it hurts to him. Yesterday i decided to start treating with meds and since i didnt know exactly what im treating i gavr him an overall treatment: Kanaplex,Furanol and levamisole-to cover parasites and bacteria.After giving the meds ive notice a stressed behavior from him including shakig and swimming rpidly. 2 hours later he was laying on his side. I started to do water changes, replacing about 90% in 2 hours.He is now swimming normaly but seems very very weak.
Just fr mentioning ive checked about these meds and they are supposingly ok to use together and also i did used them together before with no adverse react.
I dont know if it was overdosing or the mixture that cause him to be like this ,or that it was due to something else and i also have no idea what was wrong with him in the first place. I will appreciate any tips and help in diagnosing and for the next step to treat him. Thank you

NEVER MIX MEDICATIONS.

Kanaplex is a strong anti-biotic that should only be used to treat known bacterial infections. Improper use of anti-biotics can lead to drug resistant bacteria.

If you have to use anti-biotics you use it in a bare tank with lots of aeration. Anti-biotics will kill filter bacteria so you should monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels for a few weeks to make sure the filter is alive. If you get an ammonia or nitrite reading, do a 75% water change each day until the levels are 0.

-------------------------
Furanol is another anti-biotic that should not be used unless the fish has a known bacterial infection.

Levamisole is used to treat round/ thread worms and can stress fish if overdosed. Deworming medications should not be used with other medications due to the risk of overdosing.

Some medications contain several ingredients and these have been made so they are in proportion to each other and can be tolerated by fish at certain levels. Overdosing these types of medications or using them at the same time as other medications will potentially kill the fish from an overdose.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will absorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down, do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean. And clean the filter before treating.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

If you can post a picture of the fish we might be able to identify the problem.

Metronidazole+Kanamycin, Kanamycin+Furanol, Praziquantel+metronidazole+levamisole... these all are example of medication that can be ued together ans even has brand products that containing them together.... Meds can be used together, in a proper way.. I did checked the volume and dosed the tank based on that and the instructin. ididnt overdose, however the fish clearly reacted to the meds badly, or there was something else in the water causing him distress{ammonia spike for example}. So im trying to understand and ask what to do next. Should i try again with the meds again? should i try seperatly? do you have ideas based of the symptoms what is the problem?

Do a big water change each day and post a pic and or short 20 second video of the fish. Hopefully we can identify the problem and get you onto the correct treatment.

42517314_247692462610796_6584484374312386560_n.jpg

He looks almost grey.. he used to be the most red jewels ive seen.

The sides of the box arent clear so thats a problem. there isnt any unusal thing besides the loss of color. his poop was also fine last time i saw

just keep the water clean and warm and well oxygenated and see how it goes.

Ok .. thanks.. Do you think that if things will get worse i should try to treat with meds again?

Give it a couple of days before thinking about medications, and if you do treat, only use 1 medication. However, without seeing the fish from a side view, it's hard to say what the problem might be. Cichlids are pretty tough and normally clean water not being attacked by other fish will allow the fish to heal.

he is shaking his head again..like he is trying to shake something off him.. this what make me think that he has some kind of parasite..

ok .. the fish now is showing alot of shaking and scratching behavior on decors..i saw him do it about 5-6 times in an hour.. what do you think? does it gives clues on the right treatment?

If the water is good and there is no ammonia or nitrite, then the most common reason fish rub on objects is because of protozoan infections like whitespot (Ich), velvet (Oodinium), Costia, Chilodonella or Trichodina. These are all treated the same way, with a whitespot medication that contains Malachite Green or Copper. You can also treat protozoan infections by raising the temperature to 30C (86F) for 2 weeks.

Whitespot is identified by small white dots on the body or fins.
Velvet produces a gold sheen on the body or fins when a torch is shined onto the fish.
Costia, Chilodonella & Trichodina cause the fish to produce cream, white or grey patches on their body, usually along the back (dorsal side) first. The patches are excess mucous produced by the fish to try and stop the irritation caused by the protozoans biting the fish.
Poor water quality will also cause fish to produce more mucous over their body, but it normally covers the entire body.

If you do raise the temperature, increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water. Warm water holds less oxygen so aeration helps to keep levels high so the fish don't suffocate.

-----------------------
Shaking can be poor water quality or a nervous disorder. Nerve disorders can be from bacterial or protozoan infections getting into the brain and affecting the fish's balance and other functions. You can sometimes treat these types of infection but not always, and they are not that common so it is unlikely to be this.

-----------------------
You could try a broad spectrum fish medication or a whitespot medication and see how it goes. Most whitespot medications will treat other fish diseases too.

He regain his appetite but he isnt swallowing
He spits the food then trying again to eat a few times and spitting right after .. It seems that something in his mouht really pains him and he also breath a bit fast and shaking his head.
I dont think its neither of the diseases youve mentioned. He dosent have any signs,spots,mucus or anything on his body. I think he has something in his mouth or gills.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back