Marimo Moss Balls In Your Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bettaboy150

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Haha i found what marimo moss balls can be used for, i also found a great artical about them turns out that the marimo moss balls aren't just a ball of mosss, they can be pretty helplful :D http://www.greenculturesg.com/articles/jun07/jun07_marimos.pdf

Haha i found what marimo moss balls can be used for, i also found a great artical about them turns out that the marimo moss balls aren't just a ball of mosss, they can be pretty helplful :D http://www.greenculturesg.com/articles/jun07/jun07_marimos.pdf
Nice find, really interesting. I got 5 from ebay and they are getting quite big but one of them has collapsed :unsure: but the fish love them :good:

Nice find, really interesting. I got 5 from ebay and they are getting quite big but one of them has collapsed :unsure: but the fish love them :good:

lol, you can probably get them at LPS can you not? i know we have them at petsmart in the USA.

lol, you can probably get them at LPS can you not? i know we have them at petsmart in the USA.
I got 5 for what they want for one! I noticed in the article she had to put them in cooler water for them to regain their green colour, I might do that with mine since they have turned the olive colour she described. My tank temp is at 26 so must be too warm for them.

Question: Do the moss balls keep ammonia or nitrates down? I've heard from a few people that they do...

Question: Do the moss balls keep ammonia or nitrates down? I've heard from a few people that they do...

I think they do, the marimo moss balls eat moss in tank i think too, so i think they do, fish also heard this too.

I got 5 for what they want for one! I noticed in the article she had to put them in cooler water for them to regain their green colour, I might do that with mine since they have turned the olive colour she described. My tank temp is at 26 so must be too warm for them.

i kept mine in a temperature of 75-80, they didn't change colors, it still stayed green. i dnt get marimo balls still.

Did you call? Lol :lol: That is a cool article,I did already know that they are algae,though I know that they will move around the tank if they aren't getting enough lights or nutrients. I really like he way they look in a nice planted setup.

Here is a little thing I found on them, I did not write this. I just found it

Bio: Marimo/Moss balls are a very interesting plant indeed. Compact balls of special moss, these plants take on a life of their own and sometimes move about the tank and up the sides without being touched. The can range from very small balls to very large, fist-sized balls of moss. They are fantastic tank cleaners and help keep the tank naturally filtered.

Ideal Temp: 70-80’F (Some believe this plant fares best in cooler water, 77’F and less)

Substrate/Rooting?: This plant shouldn’t be buried or tethered to anything. Allow them to plop into place, and if they move, just move them back. You may find them floating, climbing the sides of the tank, or hiding amidst other plants.

Ideal Spot in Tank/Light: Place these plants where you can enjoy them. They are very quirky and interesting, and should be on display. This plant does very well in low light, but can do well in moderate light as well.

Fertilization: Fertilization helps this plant grow. Growth is usually slow. Use: Liquid fertilizers, if already in the tank, root tabs.

Special: On occasion, pick up your moss ball and give it a gentle squeeze to remove the cruds it picks up while on its travels in your tank. Do not be too rough with it, though! Dunk it gently a few times in water to remove debris, and then add back to the tank with the old bottom facing up, so it won’t yellow. This plant can be attached to objects when pulled apart, if desired. However, there are better options for mosses that are much cheaper, like Java moss. It’s best to leave these guys as balls.

Oh, and you might get more replies of you post this in the planted section :crazy:

lol, and ar u seroiuse??? THEY MOVE AROUND THE TANK?!?!?! OMGGG!!! i never knew tht, mine just like sat there at the bottom of the tank lol.

I have a marimo moss ball in each of my tanks. I love the look of them, and my fish seem to like to rest on them at times. :lol:

I have a marimo moss ball in each of my tanks. I love the look of them, and my fish seem to like to rest on them at times. :lol:

lol, my fry hide under them, so i have to use alittle stick and hit the ball so they come out lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back