What's new

March 2019 Tank of the Month Contest Starting Now!

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

dascrow

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
fishforums-toftm-jpg.82047

FishForums.net is proud to announce the March 2019 Tank of the Month Contest!

How do I enter?

Post one photo or video in this thread along with a nice detailed write-up of your tank. The write up should include a good description of your tank, water parameters, tank maintenance procedures, feeding schedules, etc.

* You must be the owner of the tank.
* Video can be uploaded to youtube, and then a link to the video may be posted in this thread.
* Only one photo will be allowed, so make it your best!
* A description is required!

The deadline for entries is March 20th, 2019 at 11:00 PM EST. The winner will be voted upon by FishForums.net Members.. Good luck everyone, and may the best Tank win!

What do I win?

The winner will receive a Tank of the Month badge and be featured on FishForums.net.

Everyone is welcome to participate, so jump right in and enter today!

Little 3.4gal I set up about a year ago. Flourite black sand capped with a layer of fine black sand and then a layer of pool filter sand. Mini heater, tiny filter, goose neck lamp with an LED bulb, hunk of wood, rotala, duckweed, and crypts. There's a few cherry shrimp in there along with a nerite and male plakat betta. Tank gets a weekly water change of ~75% along with removing a good portion of duckweed, fed daily betta pellets, bug bites, or frozen brine shrimp. Dosed with Seachem flourish when I remember.

0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, ~10 nitrate with the API master test kit.

7c8e76b2-28f9-4fe3-8a77-d67ad89c729d-jpeg.534074

20190307_183205.jpg
My tank is not perfect but I'll just post it anyway. Its a 38 gallon and for plants I have java ferns, S.Repens, java moss and a amazon sword. For fish there are 2 golden wonder killifish, 1 honey gourami, 4 cherry barbs(had 4 more in quarantine but 3 died), 3 lemon tetras( they are hard to find where I live), 4 corydoras ( usualy not hard to find but I cannot find anymore for some reason), a betta (have another tank if it does not work out), 2 angels, 1 danio ( was one of my first fish so I did not know they needed schools), 3 ghost shrimp. I dose the tank with Seachem Flourish once a week and use root tabs for the sword and my substrate is eco complete. Not sure of the parameters as test kits cannot be shiped to me due to the chemicals in the nitrate and ammonia tester so I have to use ammonia strips and I have the nitrite tester. I ran out of ammonia test strips but it is an established tank so I am confident the parameters are stable. Ph is about 6.5 and temp is about 77. I aim for a 50% water change each week and feed in the morning and at night, for food I articulate between tetra flakes, tetra granuels, frozen blood worms, and ocasionally some freeze dried brine shrimp. It has a aqueon 30 led pro converted to ceramic biomedia rings and filter floss, it also has a aqueon 200 watt heater.

Last edited:
This is my 65 gallon Aquarium. I put it together about a year ago and have been slowly adding to it ever since. Not yet at the finished look I want it to have, but very close.

Stocking:

Fish:
- Nine Black Skirt Tetras
-A trio of breeding Ancistrus
-Six Bronze corydoras (pet store only had six a year ago, will add more when the bronze corys are back in my area)
-Seven Neon tetras
-Six juvenile Angelfish (new addition)

Plants:
Vallisneria - back left corner
Bacopa - front left corner
Anubis Nana petite - back left corner on wood
Anubias barteri - left/center on wood
Anubias barteri Nana - right/center on wood
Crinum Calamistratum - back/center new addition, still small, can only really see one shoot in the picture.
Christmas Moss - along the center lower piece of wood (It over took the entire tank so tore it all out, put it in a new tank and added a bit to that piece of wood)
Cryptocoryne Crispatula var. Balansae - back right corner (new addition from yesterday, hopefully will get a more filled out look in the coming months)
Cryptocoryne Wendtti - center/right in front of wood and crypt balansae (new addition from yesterday, hopefully will get a more filled out look in the coming months)

Maintenance:

Ferts: I make my own solutions out of Potassium Nitrate (KNO3), Potassium Sulfate (KSO4) and Monopotassium Phosphate (KH2PO4). I dose once a week to bring nitrates up to 5 ppm, potassium to 8 ppm, and phosphate to 1ppm. When I see that nitrate is almost at 0 ppm, I redose Ferts.

Weekly Water Change:

*Gravel Vac substrate
*Clean Filter sponges
*Water change 60-70%

Equipment:

Pump and hose for water change, Tetra 200w heater (aqua one 300w back up for quarantine tank), Aqua One Aquis 1200 canister filter, air pump, air stone.

Hardscape:
-Spider wood
-Pool filter sand

Water parameters:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - less than 5ppm
Gh - 8 - 16 dgh
Kh - 8 - 16 dgh
Ph - 7.5

12d81499d8001a8d98186f6126c66ba7.jpg

Off to a good start this month. Come on members, let’s keep going. Everybody enter and show off your tanks!

Thats my 20 Gallon (90L) Tank.
As you can see its impossible to take a good photo of the fish only betta photographs well.
The aquarium is positioned beside a glass railing as I have a high ceiling so you can see the aquarium both from leaving room downstairs and the office upstairs.
Water is a bit foggy as the UV light is broken and I am waiting for new one (attached to outlet of canister filter ).
This is my 3rd set up in a year as I really wanted a double coloured gravel. 1st I had black and white sand similar set up but sand hept mixing. 2nd I had small black and white gravel it was hard to keep the white one clean. Now I have seachem flourite black gravel with large white stones. Its so easy to clean as I can just take them out whenever theyre dirty and clean them and the rest of the gravel is left undisturbed.

I have 2 pieces of driftwood (originally for a Pleco RIP)
I have no idea what types of plants I have I just bought a bunch and left anything that didn't die.

Stocking:
1 Halfmoon Betta
5 Cardinal Tetra
8 Rummynose Tetras
2 Scissortail Rasbora (only 2 were let in the tank with the rummynose so I just had to take them all in)
3 Otos (had huge problem with brown algae on the glass I had bn pleco before he didn't help but otos are great)
15-20 Amano shrimp (I have no idea how many there are its hard to count them)
IMAG1513.jpg
Betta loves to hide in the plants at the back and play in the bubble wall (otos also love it)
When I tap the glass the betta comes to the front and wants food. It will take food from hand but cannot jump
yet (my old one did he lived in this tank for a year and I had him for a total of 3 years).
I feed the fish usually in the evenings as they never want to eat in the morning as theyre too sleepy (when I switch on the light the tetras look like zombies). They eat flake food, betta eats granules.
Shrimp mostly eat whatever falls to the ground and few times a week I feed them algae wafers or other foor for bottom feeders.
I have no idea what otos eat. I think they mostly eat algae and won't eat any food I give them.
Shrimp used to live in the plants on the left but since this betta came they mostly stay on the driftwood.

Maintenance:
I do water changes every 1 or 2 weeks 30-50% (Ive really bad water so I always need to lowet the pH)
Remove dead plants.
I clean the canister filter about every 2 months I used to do it every month.

Water parameters:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - between 0 and 5
Ph - 7-7.5
Temperature 26°C

Last edited:
This is my Neon orange lobster tank

Lobby.jpeg

Plants
  • Various fresh water plants throughout
Maintenance
  • Fortnightly half water change
  • Gravel vacuumed two weekly
  • Clean filter / sponge every other month
  • tank temperature: 18 degrees (room temp)
  • PH - 7
  • Ammonia - 0
  • Nitrite - 0
  • Nitrate - between 0 and 5
  • Kept alone as can be very hostile and attack other tank mates
  • plenty of places small to explore and hide in - caves / planting etc especially for during the moulting process
  • hobbies include playing with the filter bubbles and climbing to the top of the filter tube
Equipment
  • Filter system
  • Air pump
  • Air stone
Feeding
  • Once a every two days- AM
  • Blood Worms
  • Peas on occasion
  • Sweetcorn on occasion

Reactions: Ada
Wow! Some great competition going and beautiful tanks! Come on guys, show off your tanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back