Male Or Female? Kribs And Royal Ram?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kizza

Reaction score
Well i have 2 Kribs and 1 Royal Ram i want to know if any one can tell me if they are male or female please.

The Royal Ram
pets001.jpg

pets002.jpg

Krib A
pets008.jpg

Krib B
pets005.jpg

Any ideas.

yeah definitely both males.

don't know about the ram

Just out of interest, can anyone tell me how to sex kribs? I've been thinking about getting a pair for one of my tanks and was planning to have a look for some this weekend.

I was told that, with rams, the best way to sex them is that males have a long second (or third) spike (I know that's the wrong word) on their dorsal fin. Where the frnt section of the dorsal fin is black, if there's a particularly elongated spike (wrong word again!) then it's probably a male. IT's hard to tell in the pictures though.

For sexing kribs, look out for the following:
Dorsal fin - on a male it should be longer, stretching out sometimes past the base of the tail. It will come to a definite point. On a female it will be blunt and rounded.
Belly - a female will have a rounded belly. A male shouldn't have a pronounced belly, and he should be longer and more 'torpedo' shaped.
Tail - a male's tail looks like the head of a spade.
Colouring sometimes can help - females will often have a very brightly coloured belly, ranging from pink, through red and purple. HOWEVER, males can get his colouring too, so make sure to check for the other things!
Nip over to the african cichlid section, there are a few krib topics there and you will be able to find some pics of males and females.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back