The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MufasaGeorge

Reaction score
Tank size: 6 gallon (Fluval Edge)
pH: 7.5
ammonia: 0
nitrite & nitrate: Unable to measure myself, had it tested at the fish store this evening and they said the levels were low and fine.
kH & gH: Unsure. Water is city water. Always treated with appropriate ratio of Nutrafin African cichlid conditioner (to boost pH) and Nutrafin cycle before being added to the tank during changes.
tank temp: 23C/ 66F

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): I have 4 guppies in my tank, one male 3 females. The male has a beautiful tail however a month ago I noticed a split/rip through the tail. In the two week or so he has two more  large splits and a one smaller one through the tail. The end of his tail is very variegated, which I original thought was how his tail should be because it always has been but this seems to be getting worse. The end of this tail is flanked by a black line which flows with the variegation, similar to eye liner. The females in the tank are fine, none of their tails seem to be affected. There are no white patches on any part of any of the fish.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 30-50% changes every 1 -2 weeks (did go longer recently 4 weeks). The longer between changes the more I take out.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Other than the above mentioned water treatments I do not add anything else. Until this evening as I am concerned he has tail rot.  I have put ½ tablespoon aquarium salt, half of the suggested use on the box because I do not want to add it all at once (took 3 hours to add the ½ tablespoon as I didn’t want to shock them). I also added ½ teaspoon of melafix and removed the carbon filter.

Tank inhabitants: The 4 guppies, one live plant (which has a leave yellowing, tank doesn't receive much light) and one algae ball.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): Nothing. The most recent addition was the algae ball and that was at least 2 months ago.

My concern is whether or not he has tail rot. I have attempted to take pictures but knowing guppies they are quick little guys! The fish are about 10 months old from when I purchased them, so I am considering whether age is becoming a factor? There are no other males nor other breeds in the tank so I am not assuming aggression from the females is the issue. Any insight to what I might be dealing with would be great.
Since the progressing of the splitting of his tail I would say it looks thinner and has lost some of the brightness it once had. 

I have tried to upload a photo but I am unable to make it small enough in file size. 

Does sound quite likely to be tail rot if it has continued for that period of time. The best treatment is clean water. Since you have only guppies in your tank, you can also add some aquarium salt to help like an disinfectant/anti-bacterial.

If your one plant is not getting enough light, maybe it is wise to get rid of it in favor of fake plants or something that requires little light. Rotting plants can contribute to bad water quality.

Thanks! I am hoping using the Melafix and some aquarium salt will fix him up! The tank will be moving to a new location in a week which should have more light!! Fingers crossed the plant wont die. If it gets anymore signs of dying I will for sure pull it out of the tank!

I have one follow up question to this situation, when do I stop the melafix treatment? I know it says the first round goes 7 days, then you determine if to continue or not.. However, I don't have anything to gage his progress on, I am assuming the splits in his tail will take forever to actually grow back together if they ever will, and he has no white spots to gage them disappearing.. Given it's been in the tank for at least a month, maybe I should treat for another 7 days? Anyone have any suggestions as the length I should continue the treatment?

You could take a picture and chart progress that way.

If it is a simple issue of it being ripped or nipped, it will grow back within a few weeks. When my female had her tail nipped off in a chunk it took about 2 1/2 weeks to grow back. Came in clear at first then began to get color, never did come in identical looking to before.

When my male had a split (looked almost like someone had taken scissors and make a perfect cut) it stuck back together within a few days.

If it is a matter of tail/fin rot you need to wait on the rot to be cured then a period of time for growth.

I'd do the 7 days, then at the end a big water change and see if there is an improvement to the quality of the edges. Hopefully someone else will chime in... I'd personally be looking for that black edge to lighten to his normal color or a more clear appearance.

Ignore the article, but it has a good beta picture of what fin/tail rot looks like. A lot easier to see on a light colored fish. http://www.ehow.com/how_4524775_prevent-fin-rot.html

Nearly a month later, my guppy's poor tail isn't getting any better.. Actually it is getting worse. It seemed to plateau so I stopped with the melafix for a few days but have since started again.  (all water stats are still fine)

Is it possible my guppy is just old? (I have had all of them for just shy of a year)  I ask, because the females in my tank are fine, their tails nor fins do not appear to be affected at all. 

I have watched to see if the females are bullying him but I have not noticed anything. 

I am considering treating him with erthromycin, however should I pull him out of the tank and put him into a separate one? Will not having a male in the tank affect the females? Might there be a better option than erthromycin (It seems to have the best reviews)?

Considered about what to do with this poor guy.

Any help on any questions would be wonderful!

Sometimes, guppies just get old and their fins begin shredding. They only live about a year anyway.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back