Male Guppy On Bottom Of Tank, Help?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LibertyMoore

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have four male guppies in my tank, they are the only inhabitants. On Monday I did a water change, and the next day I noticed one of my guppies (the littlest of the bunch) seems not to be swimming much. He alternated between laying on the bottom, and hanging st the top, near the filter or heater, but now he just lays on the bottom. At feeding time he rises a little but then looks like he's struggling and do sinks back down. His fins are clamped tightly together.

The others are all fine, which makes me think it isn't to do with the water quality?

I did another water change on Wednesday but he hadn't improved, and the parameters of my tank are normal. I also added some salt last night as apparently that is effective in treating some illnesses?

Thanks

-L

I would appreciate any opinions on this, I'm really worried about him.

How many gallons is the tank please.
Can you post water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Does he look bloated?
Is he also heavy breathing?
What do you feed your fish?
Is his fins frayed, or have finrot?

It sounds like swim bladder, or a bacterial infection.
To be honest it's not sounding to good for the little guy.

What are the parameters of your tank please?

Do you have something like an airstone going to help oxygenation of the water?

Are there any other visible signs on the fish?  Browning or reddening around the gills?

Are they still in the 25L tank?
Others here have warned you about over crowding, and this is the reason why.
He is probably stressed and being the smallest is probably being picked on by the bigger ones.
The water quality can quickly become a mess in a small tank and guppys are quite messy fish, I have platys among others and I make sure that I change about 35% every two days or more days as they are similar to guppys and are by far the biggest waste producers.
Clamped fins are a sign that the water quality isn't great.

pH is about 8, nitrate around 0.1, ran out of testing stuff for the others but they've been fine so far and I haven't changed anything in my routine. They are in the 25l tank, and please don't complain about overcrowding because to be honest, in my personal opinion it's rubbish. They are tiny fish and have a lot of room, they are always playing with each other and in generally happy spirits so overcrowding is not the problem.

I spend a lot of time sat watching them, and the others do not pick on him, they play with each other and chase each other around but there is no nipping or ganging up, they all get on well.

He doesn't look bloated, but appears to be breathing more heavily than the others. I can't comment on reddening of the gills as his natural colouring is red patches over his body, so I can't tell whether patches on his sides are part of his colouring or inflamed gills.

I don't have an air stone due to the size of the tank, but the filter oxygenates the water and due to them being small and only having four, I don't feel like it is necessary.

I hope this helps!

I would test for ammonia as it could be ammonia poisoning.

How long has the tank been set up?

I would get your water tested at the lfs.
Need ammonia, nitrite reading.
For now a would preform another water change.

Guppys are active fish and shouldn't really be kept in less than a 10 gallon tank in
my personal opinion. 
Not having ago.

Tank has been set up since early September, bought the fish about 3 weeks later. LFS said it shouldn't be the water as I change it frequently, they advised adding salt which I did last night. I'm going to change the water again today, if there's no change tomorrow they said to go back in.

It should of cycled by now.
Salt good. How much have you added?

I would feed the fish some cooked peas.

I don't think he going to make it to be honest. 
Once fish struggle to get off the bottom of the tank, rest alot. heavy breath. Not good news.
Cycling a tank with fish takes it toll on them.

Just saying, if your tank isnt big enough to accommodate something as simple as an airstone to provide better living then your tank is too small.
If you dont want to hear about overcrowding in a 25L tank then im out of here, I cant stand it when people rubbish other peoples help.... It could of been your saving grace.

LibertyMoore said:
pH is about 8, nitrate around 0.1, ran out of testing stuff for the others but they've been fine so far and I haven't changed anything in my routine. T

Hi Liberty, could you check the nitrate reading, please, as most nitrate tests aren't accurate down to tenths of a ppm. Do you mean nitrite?

LibertyMoore said:
They are in the 25l tank, and please don't complain about overcrowding because to be honest, in my personal opinion it's rubbish. They are tiny fish and have a lot of room, they are always playing with each other and in generally happy spirits so overcrowding is not the problem.

Life is all about opinions. You've asked for other people's, and they will tell you what they genuinely believe. Whether you choose to accept their advice is entirely up to you. That said, if a significant number of people all say the opposite of my opinion, maybe my opinion should be re-evaluated.

Guppies have become significantly less robust over the years, as commercial breeding has led to weaker stock. If they have been subjected to a fish-in cycle, then I agree with Wilder, that's probably the issue - the after-effects of ammonia poisoning during the cycle.

Do you know the name of the Filter?
Usually  one gallon of tank water to one tiny fish. This is just a rough estimate.

A good starter tank is around 20 gallons.
Research the fish before you buy in tank size, compatibility, adult size.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back