Male Dwarf Honey Gourami Chases Female Honey Away

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

windandfire12

Reaction score
My male dwarf honey gourami chases the female away when she is in certain spots in the tank. there is no bubble nest in the tank. I noticed this happening this evening 1- 2 hours after they had eaten there food. Is this common for male honey gouramis to do to females?

I'm afraid he might kill or try to kill her. Should I be worried, or is this just some sort of game he is playing with her or is it some kind of " lovers quarrel" that is going on? Is there anyone out there who has had there female honey dwarf gourami killed by the male honey? It seems like he is protecting a part of the tank. But like I said before, There is no bubble nest or fry in the tank.

PLEASE HELP ME understand what is going on with my Gouramis. :(

Male gouramies are territorial. it doesn't matter whether there's a nest or not - part of the tank is 'his'. It's never a good idea to keep male and female gouramies as pairs - the male constantly chases the female and can stress her out very much. Indeed, this behaviour can elad to death. usualy it's not because the male actualy kills the female but because the male's attention stresses the female until she becomes susceptible to disease - and the disease kills her. The best thing to do is to re-arange the tank and then buy 2 more female honeys. This way the male will chase all three. That may sound unusual but it does mean that he'll ahve to devide his attention between them - meaning no single female gets very stressed. It is necessary to re-arange the tank in order to disrupt his territory and make him choose a new one - giving the new females a chance to settle in. You'll also likely find that the females enjoy spending time together - they can be quite social. Just one thing to consdier though - is your tank alrge enough for 4 honeys? it needs to be at least 15 gallons - but more is better.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back