Malawi Mbuna Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pbase5583

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just started a cichlid tank, converted from predators.
Will be adding more fish each week until completion.
I had rocks looking better but then had to get old fish out so now looks ehhh, but im moving and will redo it in 1 week
41f49cd1.jpg

8d06696f.jpg

e59a604b.jpg

f9fca194.jpg

d62da29f.jpg

a4a58a0b.jpg

68eb1e5e.jpg

c9ad2922.jpg

cf98a7fa.jpg

9bff9292.jpg

33e67f94.jpg

adc387fa.jpg

nice fish. good to see youve finally settled on something and it appears to be doing well. :good:

i know right! just going to add some red zebras then some white ones(dont know any in particular) and then maybe some jewel spots or more yellow labs.

Looks like you are well on your way :good: What is your stocking now? Filtration?

Thanks,
Steve

i really like that rock at the front with red in it do you know what its called ? :)

Lol that one i bought at wal mart for 9$, the rest were either landscape yard or lfs
and filtration is a aquaclear 70 but i am upgrading to a canister filter when i move, thats why i didnt add that many fish yet,
but heres the stocking list

3x Labidochromis Caeruleus
1x paratilapia polleni
1x large plecostomus

I am going to get a freshwater snowflake moray eel dont know the technical name but at the LFS its huge and with cichlids

I haven't heard of putting eels with Mbuna. Check to make sure the water requirements are compatible. Just because they have them together in the store doesn't exactly mean they belong together :blink: . I've seen goldfish with tropicals at my lfs too and I wouldn't do that either. As far as I know, Mbuna belong primarily with Mbuna. The only exception may be specific catfish.
Others may know better.

Thanks,
Steve

yea ill look into that, the eel was in a pet store not fish store, they have some at a fish store but not the same eels, but those ones are compatible just got to feed them by hand(tongs)

i think white labs will be my next group of fish, then red zebras

I probably wouldn't mix the Nkhata Bay Labs with the yellow. Again, cross breeding and con-specific aggression. The Zebras would do fine. If you want something on the light blue side, look at Pseudo. socolofi or maybe Cyno. White Top Hara or Iodotropheus stuartgranti.

Thanks,
Steve

Tank looks good :good: . Not all "zebra" named fish are crazy. The Metriaclima esterae I have can be aggressive but not as much as say most of the other Metriaclima Zebra fish. They can be aggressive so I do have to keep an eye on them as they mature but I don't expect them to be mass murderers :crazy: I have a bigger concern about the Pertotilapia Nkhata Bays that I was sent on the original order instead of the Nkhata Bay Labs :angry: from what I have read, they can be pretty aggressive so they will go first if I see anything!

Thanks,
Steve

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back