Malawi Cichlid

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mark4hay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have decided i want to get malawi cichlids and was wondering how many to get for a 200 litre tank and also what kind to get?

I have decided i want to try malawi cichlids and was wondering how many to get for a 200 litre tank and also what kind to get?

Hi mark
It depends on the type of malawis you are thinking of getting as their size will determine how many you can get for your tank.
The smallest types are the dwarf cichlids which are around the 3inch mark for example, demasonis, afras salousi just 3 examples. Then you go up to the 5-6inches in size, yellow labs,red zebras,blue zebras and much more.
It depends on the fish you want to get and the size they will grow to that will determine how many you can put in your 200litre tank.

i like the look of the yellow lab and ones like that

I would suggest about 20-25 would be about right as you should overstock to avoid aggression, but make sure you have very good filtration. (Assuming you arent stocking with anything that grows large like frontosa).

As to what to get, I would say look and see what you like the look of and post them up and we can advise what will or wont go together.

what's the minimum amount of yellow labs you can get could I just get 1 or do they have to be in groups ?

I have a 380L Malawi setup that has Malawi, mbuna and haps in it. There are 6 yellow labs, they do prefer to be in groups but depending on what other fish you`d like then you could have just 2 or 3.

Have a look at this place that I bought my fish from, the guy is a really nice bloke and his fish are top quality. You should be able to get some idea of the fish you like and you can then google for profile and compatibility info on them :good:

http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk/page2.html

i like the look of demasoni as well what would they go with?

i like the look of demasoni as well what would they go with?

demasoni are very aggressive and you need to look at a large number of them together to keep aggression down a bit. The Mpanga are pretty similar in colour (imo), my Mpangas look much better than the pic on that website and they`re nowhere near as aggressive as the demasoni are reported to be.

I think you`ll find it very difficult to try and match compatibility with demasoni. No doubt you`ll see lots of other fish along the way and will chop and change your mind like the rest of us have :lol:

Yes rustys will go with yellow labs.

I wouldn't keep anything in less than groups of 3 myself 1m:2f - Ideally a group of 4 with 1m:3f, or all males or all females.

Yes rustys will go with yellow labs.

I wouldn't keep anything in less than groups of 3 myself 1m:2f - Ideally a group of 4 with 1m:3f, or all males or all females.

I was thinking of 3 labs and 2 rusties to start with could I not do that?

would it be ok to just buy 5or 6 fish to start with then get more from there or do you have to overstock right from the beginning?

Most reactions

trending

Back