Malawi Cichlid Tank Project

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Duz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I thought I would setup this topic to show my tank developing. There are quite a few pictures in this first post.

Background
I've always liked Malawi cichlids and I wanted to create a tank which was both visually pleasing, whilst trying to keep it as natural as possible.
The tank is approximately 225l (dimensions 122cm wide, 30.5cm deep at start of bow, 48.5cm deep at max of bow and 43cm high). I brought the tank and cabinet second hand a few years ago, for less than half the original owner paid for the cabinet alone. Bargain!
The tank did need some work, as the handles were dated, the lights were past their best, the filter had completely died and you couldn't fit modern tubing through the cabinet holes at the back.

Equipment
I talked about this in the previous thread here.

Filter:
JBL Cristiprofi 1501 - I was thinking about getting the Fluval FX4 but it wouldn't fit inside of the cabinet, so I got the next biggest filter.
Heater:
Fluval E 200w.
Lighting:
Fluval Eco Bright LED 15W - other lighting ended up more expensive by the time I factored in custom tax.
Sand:
30kg of play sand.
Rock:
40kg of Seiryu rock.

Photos
14087560_10157488287230438_834004280_o.jpg

I forgot how heavy tanks are, even when they haven't got any water in.

14074467_10157488287110438_1554422780_o.jpg

14139037_10157488291940438_8637351_o.jpg

I brought a black background and some new handles. We also extended the holes in the back of the cabinet so the filter now fits. I'm not going to take any photos of them as a 5 year old could draw a straighter line, but at least it's smooth so the tubing won't get damaged.

14087448_10157488287060438_1255728670_o.jpg

14114618_10157488287190438_192380643_o.jpg

In goes all the sand and the rocks. I think it took me half a day before I was happy with where the rocks are. Every time I thought I was finished, I sat down for 5 minutes then realised I didn't like it. I also think my other half got annoyed with me asking how it looks.
I know cichlids like caves, so I've made 3 (front right, back middle and back left). I'm sure they will decide they don't like them and create their own anyway.

14087383_10157488287105438_1569926733_o.jpg

Went out and brought a hose, so I could attach it to the kitchen tap. I didn't really fancy doing 100+ trips with a 2l bottle.

14074471_10157488291905438_1859956650_o.jpg

The tank is now completely full. I had to wait a day or so before taking this picture as the water was fairly cloudy from all the bubbles. I also managed to soak the carpet as I didn't quite put the filter lid on properly (hopefully that won't happen again).

Hope you guys like it. I'm thinking of stocking with the following:
  • 12 Pseudotropheus demasoni (3 male, 9 female)
  • 5 Labidochromis caeruleus (1 male, 4 female)
  • 5 Synodontis petricola (if I can find any) or maybe a single Syndontis granulosus (I've read they are very aggressive to their own species).
Going to be cycling the tank shortly, once we're able to measure out the ammonia and when the test kit arrives. I'm welcome to any comments anyone has.

Last edited:
holy cow that's nice looking, I  like how its so clear looking but also the aquascape is nice, any plants your gonna add? also (you don't have to answer this) but how much did those rocks cost??? im looking for cheap good aquarium rocks for my aquarium rn :eek:

Hello, I'm his other half and doubt he will be able to reply for a few days due to work- so I thought I'd answer those questions..

No plans to add any plants as he feels they'll probably just be turfed up by the cichlids.

The rocks were fairly expensive, we got the online at Aqua Essentials and were around £100

om gosh no way, well I got ripped off... I payed $150 for 2lbs of (forgot name think it was lava) rock from the Green Machine (google it to find out, long name) and he was in UK so $150+$50 shipping or so, and the rocks were awful, small broken and stuff...

BettaBettas said:
om gosh no way, well I got ripped off... I payed $150 for 2lbs of (forgot name think it was lava) rock from the Green Machine (google it to find out, long name) and he was in UK so $150+$50 shipping or so, and the rocks were awful, small broken and stuff...

$200 for 2lbs of rock? :O I thought mine was expensive at just under £100. 
I know lava rock is normally light, but I don't think 2lbs would be that much. 

Like Kelly-Jo said, I'm not going to add any plants as I know cichlids like to dig and uproot everything. It's why I spent so long positioning all the rocks and didn't mind paying a bit more for them. 

really nice! I too have a Malawi tank - its incredible to see the lengths these guys go to in order to landscape their environment - they are happy diggers!

luca1980 said:
really nice! I too have a Malawi tank - its incredible to see the lengths these guys go to in order to landscape their environment - they are happy diggers!

Thanks Luca. I'm hoping they don't destroy it too much, which they probably will. I've tried to place as many rocks as I can on the glass, but I've had to use some sand to support them in certain areas. 

I gave them a wiggle the other day and none of them moved (other than the tiny ones), so I'm hoping I will be ok :)

After buying a freshwater test kit online, the company sent me a saltwater test kit and wouldn't answer any emails/phone calls for 2 weeks, so my tank is only just coming to the end of it's fishless cycle.

I was thinking about stocking the following:
  • 12 Pseudotropheus demasoni (3 male, 9 female)
  • 5 Labidochromis caeruleus (1 male, 4 female)
  • 5 Synodontis petricola
I have two questions:

I currently have a Pseudotropheus acei ngara from an old tank which I'm closing down. I was wondering whether I could move him/her (I think it's male but haven't sexed properly yet) to this new tank with the above stocking? The main concern I have, is the new fish will be half the size, as the acei is fully grown. I don't really want to stock the tank and then have half of them die within 24 hours.

If I choose to move/not move the acei is the above stocking ok?

I now have a supplier for Synodontis petricola, but I'm still struggling to find a shop which will sex all the cichlids with confidence.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back