Malachite Green

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Airbear

Reaction score
I have been cycling a small 5 gallon Fluval spec with fish and seeded material at 3 weeks Iā€™ve been treating for ice did I just destroy my bio cultures with malachite Green

I just got testing supplies so far one nerite snail is all Iā€™ve lost

Test your water daily from what I understand Malachite Green will harm the beneficial bacteria.

To treat Ich all you need to do is raise the water temp to 84 deg F for a week.

Next time I will try buying an adjustable heater mine is preset at 78 I just tested everything is reading zeroes everyone seems happy I did 20 percent water change and put new activated charcoal in filter will be testing daily thanks for the help Nicklaus!

It seems OK for you now, but just a caution for future...malachite green can be very harmful to some fish species, and there are usually better treatment alternatives for ich. I don't know what fish you have/intend, but all characins (tetras, hatchetfish, pencilfish) and cory catfish for example are highly sensitive to malachite green, and salt plus heat is much safer.

If you can't turn up the heat or add salt I've had very good results with only one dose of jungle ich clear. It does turn stuff blue though...

Itā€™s already run itā€™s course now but next time I will try salt and heat all my tetras and Cory all tolerated it well

I was also concerned about the bio cultures with the malachite green

I was also concerned about the bio cultures with the malachite green
I'm a little late to the party but I thought I'd make a suggestion. Along with the increased water temperature and keeping the tank clean, I'd recommend the use of Herbtana.
Link is here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LO9LDI/?tag=ff0d01-20
After I made the mistake last year of impulse buying some corydora that were on sale, I had a small outbreak of ick in my tank. The corydora and (I think as I only saw one spot at the time) and one of my angels. I was frantic to find a way to help fix the mess I'd made but was hesitant to use heavy meds. I found herbtana online and decided to give it a try. It's completely natural and has a strong, someone pleasant smell when added to the tank. I did a large water change, raised the temperature, and began to dose the tank for ten days. Testing my water every morning before a dose I wanted to be very careful to make sure my beneficial bacteria were not being killed off. Sure enough, the water parameters remained safe and stable and my fish showed signs of recovery in just three days! I did the full course of ten days as the bottle directs just to be safe.

I've had my uncle tell me that it was the raised water temperature and not the herbtana that helped cure the ick so quickly, but I've lost a lot of fish to ick (mostly mollies as thats all I kept) when I first started in the hobby and I've done the temperature method before and never had such fast signs of improvement. However, I must note that my case was mild, as in the amount of white spots on the fish were low. About five or so per fish and not covering the entire body and barely any flashing from the fish.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks fro fro I appreciate the advice now that Iā€™m more informed I will try raising temp and maybe trying salt if it happens again

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back