Lyretail Mollies

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

VTfish

Reaction score
someone please help!
I have two white lyretail mollies in a 30 gal community tank (tetras, platys, catfish, pleco)...they are the only mollies and they both appear to be pretty sick.
They are both hanging out at the top of the tank, staying in the same spot for hours, almost vertical, with their heads pointed up. Both of their mouths are opening very wide and then shutting again, as if they are trying to "breathe" better.
All levels in the water, including temp are perfect. 20% water change 2 weeks ago and a filter change yesterday. No other fish is acting strange at all...just these two. Does not appear ro be Swim Bladder; no outward signs of parasites/fungus/bacteria.
Any ideas at all what might be causing this? Please ehlp quickly...I am thinking that they are on their last leg!

You don't state what filter you have, it definately sounds that they are suffering from oxygen starvation. If possible tilt the output of your filter so that it produces as big a ripple as possible on the top of the water even breaking the surface is even better. You need to get more oxygen in the tank and fast.

What were the actual test results?

Well first of all is there any airstones and/or surface aggitation in the tank ?

In the 30 gal tank, we have an external carbon filter (designed for up to 40 gal). the water is shoots out DEFINITELY breaks the surface, and sends air bubbles at least 6-8 inches down into the tank. Additionally, we have a big decorative rock with an air tube inside of it that lets air out at different places throughout the rock (it is the only thing hooked up to the air filter)
The water parameters:
pH: 7.0
ammonia: less than .5
nitrate: 0
general water hardness: 6
temp has been holding steady since we started the tank (about 6 weeks ago)

This happened within the past few days and we hadn't changed a THING when they started acting like this. First it was just one, so we figured he was sick...then the other started acting like that today.

If it is not the lack of oxygen (which I am fairly confident it is not)...could it be anything else?

Do u have a nirIte reading for us?

Ammonia even in small amounts are still poisonus to fish, so i would advise u todo a water change, 15-20%

It could be an internal parasite, but its kinda hard to tell, if u have any general disease treatment like melafix, then u could add some of that.

But for now a water change and just see what happenes from there

sorry....nitrite = 0, too
Can fish with swim bladder swim with their heads up instead of down? I have always read that they swim with their heads pointed stright down....but could it be the other way around?

Swim bladder problems can make the fish swim in any direction, and can cause irratic swimming patterns, this is a possibillity

Probably not, but is it fat by any chance ? could just be pregnent, but i doubt it.

It is a male....and definitely on it's last leg.
The other one appears to be doing better for some reason...but the one that got sick first will probably not make it through the day...it is looking pretty listless...

Most reactions

trending

Back