Lumpfish eggs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The Lumpfish Guy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just in case anyone was interested, here is a small batch of my Lumpfish (Cyclopterus lumpus) eggs at the eyed stage of development. Eggs are laid in a sticky egg mass, and guarded by the males. They are quite large eggs (about 2-2.5mm in diameter). Females can reach 60cm long and 4+kg in weight So could be considered bit of a tank buster!, but commonly found in Aquariums in Northern Europe, UK and North America.

DSC_6050.JPG

lots of little baby Pacmans :)
or aliens looking at me, ahhhhh

Tell us more about the Lumpfish. Are these one of the species you brought back from the Antarctic and are they currently breeding in your tank?

lots of little baby Pacmans :)
or aliens looking at me, ahhhhh
Never thought of the pacmans, might have to use that in the future.

Tell us more about the Lumpfish. Are these one of the species you brought back from the Antarctic and are they currently breeding in your tank?

So the Lumpfish is common in the North Atlantic, and I would say it was a Sub-Arctic species. The males exhibit a huge range of colouration during the mating season ( Red, green, blue, pink orange). They have been fished historically for cheep Caviar and some traditional Norwegian, Icelandic and Danish foods.
The females can reach over 60cm in length and upwards of 4KG, the largest I have seen was about 4.5kg! They are really common in aquaria around Europe and North America, Those of you in Torronto they are in Ripley's aquarium. Scotland they are in deep sea world, outside Edinburgh. USA in the Denver Aquarium.
Recently they have been used by the Salmon industry as cleanerfish to remove sea lice off the salmon, instead of chemicals. So Aquacultre now produces something like 18-20 million lumpfish a year!

I work with these animals at the moment, Due to their sizes I don't think I will be keeping them any time soon in my 2 bed flat! But one day I will get myself a pair I think, I love these fish they are very personable and pretty awesome!

Anyone interested on keeping them, water temperatures below 10C, low water flow and low light levels really work for this fish. Nutrition wise they eat almost anything! and readily breed once mature. Water quality they don't mind too much, they are really tolerant of conditions, even are able to be exposed to air for longer periods of time than make me comfortable ( the males will guard egg masses laid in inter tidal zones and stay with the egg when the water recedes!)

Never thought of the pacmans, might have to use that in the future.
Put a curved line under the eyes and you have a smiley face :)

Anyone interested on keeping them, water temperatures below 10C,...
Won't be keeping any here then, Our water rarely gets below 10C in winter and regularly hits 30C+ in summer :)

Out of curiosity, how do you go about doing gravel cleaning and tank maintenance in the cold water?
Do you just grin and bare it or put on thick rubber gloves to prevent the cold?

Won't be keeping any here then, Our water rarely gets below 10C in winter and regularly hits 30C+ in summer :)

Buy a chiller maybe......:angel:

Out of curiosity, how do you go about doing gravel cleaning and tank maintenance in the cold water?
Do you just grin and bare it or put on thick rubber gloves to prevent the cold?

Things on poles so you don't have to get your hands wet. And when you do just grin and suck it up! a good pair of gloves is like gold dust!
And because I'm British a good cup of tea to warm up is essential!d:D

There is a big aquarium near me that has a lumpfish tank that I love to stop at whenever I'm there. They all come over to look at you if you stick around for a while. Really cool to see that captive breeding is going on with them!

I didn't know the color was so variable for male lumpfish. I always thought the red ones in the tank were a different species but I guess maybe it's the males I'm seeing that are that color.

Yeah, there is a really high variation in colour of the males. Not really sure why, possible mate attraction but no ones knows yet.
They are popular with lots of people, especially the small ones. Annoyingly they get a better response than any of my fish!

Most reactions

trending

Back