Lowering pH concerns

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I got a snail and algae eater yesterday and both have already died.

There is something else going on with a PH of 8.5 ammonia becomes super toxic. At pH 8.5, only 0.17 ppm is considered lethal to inhabitants.

I cant see a high PH killing a mystery snail.
I keep Mystery snails in a tank with Bumblebee Gobys PH 8.4 and its hard as rock and my snails love it. And yes strangely the Gobys leave the snails alone, I guess they are to busy hunting Endler fry.

What’s your substrate? It’s gravel or sand it’s likely what’s buffering the PH, my PH directly from my tap is 7.8 however the diet in my tank buffers it to around 6.0, I would suggest changing the substrate or seeking high PH fish like live bearers like guppies, cichlids,rasboras, or cooler water species (which tend to live at high PH ranges due to their habitat) it sounds like you do have other issues with your tank though, but PH is still a huge factor.

I do

I do not know numbers for how hard my water is. I only have the API water testing kit. Decor is stones and plastic plants. I got a snail and algae eater yesterday and both have already died. This issue is breaking my heart. I did another 90% water change to help since the nitrate was slightly elevated

As I said previously, check with your municipal water authority if you are on city water, their website may give data. Or call them. You really must pin down the GH and KH so you/we know what is happening here.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back