Lowering Nitrate and Nitrite levels

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Russ2123

Reaction score
I am cycling my tank and both Nitrate and Nitrite levels are way too high. What would be the best way to lower them?

Water change.

What are the actual numbers from your tests, and is this a fish-in or a fishless cycle? The amount you need to change might be different in different cases, so we do need the extra info :)

Okay; immediate 90% water change, making sure that the new water's warmed and dechlorinated, of course.

Test again once that's done and, if the nitrite is not at zero, do another one.

That level of nitrite is going to be seriously affecting your fish's health.

Are you using test strips? You need to be testing for ammonia as well.

I just did a full water change last week from thursday through sunday? SO should I do a 90% water change, I heard you were only supposed to do 25% a day?

Yes I am using API 5 in 1 test strips

Any level of ammonia or nitrite is harmful to fish. In a fish-in cycle you need to do however many water changes it takes to keep them as near to zero as possible. Be guided by your test results.

Always do a fishless cycle if you have the opportunity. Even if fish survive a cycle, it can affect their long term health, and living in toxic water is uncomfortable and stressful for them.

There are a few bacterial supplements on the market. I would only try Dr Tim's one and only, and the results of that one would depend on how old it is and how it has been transported and stored by your fish store. But your chances are higher than with other supplements, which either have the wrong bacteria in them or don't have any bacteria at all.

You could also get filter bacteria of a already running and cycled tank.

There are a couple things you can do to alleviate the serious problem of high nitrite, which as fluttermoth said, is almost certain to harm the fish long-term. Fish never really "recover" from poisoning from ammonia or nitrite during a cycle. But what's done is done, and we must work to help the fish.

First, daily major water changes if nitrite remains above zero. Second, use a conditioner that detoxifies nitrite; I am aware of only two, Prime (made by Seachem) and Ultimate (made by Aquarium Solutions I believe). These will detoxify nitrite for 24-36 hours, so you still need to do the daily water changes. By "detoxify" is meant binding the nitrite so it is not lethal, but this binding is only temporary, and tests will still show it as "nitrite." The zero nitrite is when it is no longer a danger.

As for bacterial seeding, there are some of these products that help. Dr. Tim's One and Only is an instant cycling product, but as far as I know it is for use in fish-less situations, as it involves adding ammonia. If I'm misunderstanding that, someone can point it out. And I don't know if just added to the tank with fish it will do whatever. There are a couple other products that will help with fish present. Tetra's SafeStart (this was the first product Dr. Hovanec formulated before his Dr. Tims One and Only) works to quicken the establishment of the nitrifying bacteria, and another than I have used is Seachem's Stability. These do work, but only to speed things up, but that is better at this stage than nothing. Tests by Dr. Hovanec on some other similar products showed that they too speed things up though not by a lot.

I would not use seeding from someone else's tank, or a store tank, as this can introduce all sorts of detrimental pathogens that will only make things worse for the fish. You can use seeding from your own tank if you have another running. Otherwise use one of the bacterial supplements.

Byron.

I have done two water changes and everything looks better but the Nitrate and Nitrite levels are the same. Should I keep changing the water also should I try some sort of ammonium supplement?

I have done two water changes and everything looks better but the Nitrate and Nitrite levels are the same. Should I keep changing the water also should I try some sort of ammonium supplement?

You do not need to be adding ammonia/ammonium, that will only keep this going longer. I assume you previously had ammonia reading something and it has gone to zero?

The info in my last post (#11) is all you can be doing now.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back