Low Maintenance Tank Ideas And A Couple Of Current Problems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pablothebetta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
As the title suggests, this topic has a couple of different parts so I wasn't quite sure where to place it - I hope here is appropriate.

I've become rather busy recently and my tank is currently in a bit of a state. Plants are dying (java fern turns brown and leaves no longer grow large and some anubias leaves have died), algae is all over and it's in need of a bit of a rescape.

I've been told that stopping dosing ferts and EasyCarbo are to blame for the java fern death and the algaes but this was months ago now and the fern continues to lose leaves. I'd always thought that they were fairly hardy plants and hadn't thought that it'd be effected too much. There's green spot algae and darker brown algae (darker than diatom, almost like BBA but does not look like the pictures) on the sides. Is there any way I can fix these problems?

I'd really like to have low maintenance planted tank which is generally algae-free and if I could get my current weekly schedule down to fortnightly by adding a lot of plants it would certainly be appriciated. If not, then weekly it shall stay as I wouldn't want water quality to suffer.

Also, if anyone has any tricks for getting rid of/'hiding' shrimp poop they'd be very helpful as it really does make the (pale) sand look dirty.

Some tank stats:
- 28L
- 1 Betta, 1 Amano Shrimp (originally had 2 and looking to buy a couple more)
- Lighting is low, around 11W and usually on for around 6 hours a day
- Java Fern (think it's 'needle' variety), Marimo Ball, Anubias Nana, C. Wendtii & C. Nevelli (sp?)
- Unsure of what filter specs are, is just the one that came with the tank (AquaStart 320)

Speaking of filters, I'm unsure if I actually ought to buy a new filter as the flow doesn't seem to great in the tank as I don't get any 'swaying' movement from the plants aside from directly next to the filter. My betta, however, doesn't seem to be too keen on a great deal of surface water movement and the spray bar currently faces the side of the tank, so could this be the cause of the issue?

Many Thanks

I found changing my filter from the std supplied helped the most with algae... id already changed my bulbs, reduced the hours of light, added purigen but the filter made the most difference. my tank is 65 us g previously had a 1200lph powerhead with drip tray system replaced it with eheim classic 600/2217.good luck

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back