Low maintenance planting advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

djohnson1974

Reaction score
hello all,

I'm currently in the cycling process on my new 125l tank and would like to introduce some planting. I am keen not to introduce co2 and would like plants that are low maintenance. I have 1 inch of 2-4mm natural gravel and river cobbles in my tank with no planting substrate under. My question is what should I be considering? I was thinking amazon sword, java fern and moss balls but any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

In my experience java fern is really hardy so would be a good choice for low maintenance/low tech tanks. I also have val and anubias is my axolotl tank - the temp stays at 18 degrees Celsius and is very dimly lit (axies prefer cold and dark water) and the plants are doing really well. I just have a beach sand substrate and do not add any fertilisers.

Ludwigia and Wisteria have really grown for me in my low light tanks

In my experience java fern is really hardy so would be a good choice for low maintenance/low tech tanks. I also have val and anubias is my axolotl tank - the temp stays at 18 degrees Celsius and is very dimly lit (axies prefer cold and dark water) and the plants are doing really well. I just have a beach sand substrate and do not add any fertilisers.
Great thanks

It's not really low light it's the lack of specific planting substrate and co2 that I'm keen to combat. Appreciate your advice folks

I've just got gravel, and even a ugf in one of my tanks.

I have a tank with just gravel. Wisteria has grown great for me. I also have what I think is anubias that grows fine. I don't fertilize or use CO2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could use a liquid carbon additive as an alternative to CO2, it is by no means as good but is better than nothing- given you have a rio 125 im going to assume you have the dual T5 light fixture which is quite a high output light unit. Without any co2 additive you will struggle to grow plants.

Generally well growing plants don't need a lot of maintenance , An occasional trim and removal of excess plants is all that is needed. If the tank is well aerated CO2 is not needed. A 30 to 50% water change weekly is still needed.

The biggest maintenance issue with plants is out of control Algae growth. This is often caused by a nutrient deficiency Sometimes you tap water just doesn't have enough nutrients and the plants will not grow. If plant growth is slow or doesn't happen algae will start growing uncontrollably. If that happens start fertilizing with a compete fertilizer.. The best one I have had experience with is SeaChem Flourish Comprehensive. More frequent water changes might help if that happens.

Swords, water sprite, anubias and java fern are all rather easy to grow for most people. The anubias and java fern won't need planting in the substrate, just attach them to a rough-ish rock or drift wood and they will grow right on it. Swords are pretty hardy but in my experience they like their light. Water sprite in nearly impossible to kill off completely but sometimes it doesn't like to take root.

Because you don't have a nutrient rich substrate, I suggest getting some root tabs.

moss balls
Do you mean Marimo Moss Ball

These are not actually moss, they are algae, what type of fish do you have or intend to have? The fish may enjoy eating them.

General info on Marimo Moss Balls.

They are a protected species , as they are now endangered due to people removing them for the aquarium trade. It is illegal to remove them from the lake they originate in, in Japan.

The growth rate of Marimo is about 5 mm per year.they grow particularly large, up to 20–30 cm (8–12 inches)

Treated right they can live for 100 years plus.

They may be illegal to own in some places, when buying Marimo moss balls make sure they are genuine Marimo and not something like java moss.

Do you mean Marimo Moss Ball

These are not actually moss, they are algae, what type of fish do you have or intend to have? The fish may enjoy eating them.

General info on Marimo Moss Balls.

They are a protected species , as they are now endangered due to people removing them for the aquarium trade. It is illegal to remove them from the lake they originate in, in Japan.

The growth rate of Marimo is about 5 mm per year.they grow particularly large, up to 20–30 cm (8–12 inches)

Treated right they can live for 100 years plus.

They may be illegal to own in some places, when buying Marimo moss balls make sure they are genuine Marimo and not something like java moss.

Think I'll leave the moss balls if that's the case. I'm just after a simple community tank with a mix of guppies, platys and tetras. I am particularly fond of the neon tetras.

That wont work, Guppies and Platys prefer hard water while tetras prefer soft, Do you know what type of water you have?

That wont work, Guppies and Platys prefer hard water while tetras prefer soft, Do you know what type of water you have?
Ok, thanks,

I have moderately hard water (see attached). So which fish would thrive in my water conditions?

Attachments

• IMG_0005.PNG
    IMG_0005.PNG
    80.1 KB · Views: 184

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back