Low light 2.5 gal betta tank plant suggestions?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Anonymous Comment

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to freshwater tanks, so I decided to go pretty much as easy possible and get a betta. I have a 2.5 gal aquarium with an led light and planted tank substrate. I'm looking for suggestions of easy care low light plants that would work well for my tank.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hi, 2.5g really isn't big enough for a betta - they need at least 5g.

yea mate sorry but 2.5 gal is to small. also a 5 gal is much easier to maintain as there will be smaller fluctuations in NO 2, ammonia, etc. it is also easier to work with and filter.

I've heard that, but all my research says 5 gal is preferred, but a 2.5 is fine if you keep up on water quality.

yes it is 'fine' but not recommended. anyway one could do grassy plants particularly the small ones as well as mosses. im not to sure about adding slightly taller ones as a 2.5 gal does not have much space at all to give them enough space to grow.

2.5 gal is too small for a betta! They need at least a 5 gallon tank!
Some live plants I know for freshwater tanks are:
Java moss
Java Moss is one of the most common plants in a tank. It’s low-maintenance, difficult to kill, and grows quickly.

If you attach it to a rock, it’ll crawl over the surface of your tank. it has been known to float, so it’s best advised to attach it to something to prevent any float-away.

Appearance: Low, carpetlike growth pattern. Appears ‘fuzzy’.
Water Preferences: Tolerates anything between 72-90 degrees Farenheight. Growth is fastest around 73 degrees.
Lighting Preferences: Grows well in any lighting. However, growth is fastest in medium-high lighting conditions.
Uses: Decoration, substrate covering and stabilization, carpeting, protection, and breeding of certain types of fish.

Dwarf baby tears:
These are my most favorite carpeting plant. It’s tough, hard-working, and a healthy carpet of DBT looks beautiful in many of the common aquascaping styles.

As a bonus, if they’re producing oxygen, Dwarf Baby Tears have beautiful little bubbles that form on their leaves.

Appearance: Low, carpetlike growth pattern. Healthy carpets of DBT are thick and vibrant.
Water Preferences: Tolerates anything between 72-85 degrees Farenheight. Growth is fastest around 73-75 degrees.
Lighting Preferences: Grows best in bright lighting conditions, thought amount of light affects growth patterns. Brighter light means more compact growth.

Dwarf Hairgrass
The aquascaping possibilities are endless with this type of plant. It looks beautiful next to Stone, as well as contrasting perfectly with dark sand or soil.

It’s incredibly easy to grow. So much so that you’ll probably find yourself trimming this quite a bit!

Appearance: Small to medium sized strands of what would appear to be grass. Carpets easily in most environments.
Water Preferences: Tolerates most environments. Grows best in water that’s 72-78 degrees Farenheight.
Lighting Preferences: Grows best in bright lighting conditions

Marsilea minuta:
the aqua escaping possibilities are endless with this type of plant. It looks beautiful next to Stone, as well as contrasting perfectly with dark sand or soil.

It’s incredibly easy to grow. So much so that you’ll probably find yourself trimming this quite a bit!

Appearance: Easily identified by the ‘clover’ appearance of its leaves. Carpets easily in most environments.
Water Preferences: Tolerates most environments. Grows best in water that’s 73-78 degrees Farenheight.
Lighting Preferences:Grows in most lighting conditions. Does best in medium lighting.

Amazon sword:
The Amazon Sword is the staple of most aquascapes. It’s easy to maintain, fast-growing, and can be quite beautiful when arranged in the appropriate area.

Note that these can grow quite big (up to 20 inches), so they’re most often planted in the mid-background area.

Appearance: Large swordlike leaves
Water Preferences: Grows best in water that’s 72-82 degrees Farenheight.
Lighting Preferences:Growth is optimal in medium lighting.

Java Fern:
Java Fern is very a very low maintenance plant, and has a unique look that appeals to most aquascapers. Its biggest benefit is its ability to be planted in nearly any area of the aquarium without distracting from the hardscape. It also looks quite good!

Appearance: Semi-striped, thick leaves. Appears in bunches.
Water Preferences: Grows best in water that’s 72-78 degrees Farenheight.
Lighting Preferences:Growth is optimal in low-medium lighting.

Anubias nana:
Anubias Nana is one of the more appealing midground plants you’ll find in aquascaping. It tolerates nearly any water quality or environment.

With curved stems and large semi-round leaves, it’s a great match for the stone aquascaping present in most aquariums.

Appearance: Curved stems with medium-sized, semi-round leaves.

Pygmy chain sword:
This plant isn’t often seen in aquascaping. Mostly because it’s very similar to what we see everyday of our lives—grass. It’s useful for placement around hardscapes, and is beautiful when properly trimmed.

However, it’s nearly impossible to accidentally kill it!

Appearance: Strikingly similar to most lawn grass.
Lighting Preferences:Growth is optimal in medium-bright lighting.

Pogostemon helferi:
Besides having an interesting name, this is one of the most unique foreground plants available to aquascapers today. It has a striking zig-zag shape in its leaves, and grows in a ‘blooming’ pattern that’s visually appealing in front of hardscapes.

Appearance: Beautiful ‘blooming’ growth pattern. Zig-zag shaped leaves.

Dwarf Sagittaria:
Dwarf Saggitaria is an easily-maintained plant that maxes out at around 4-6 inches, making it perfect for midground aquascapes. Placing Dwarf Saggitaria around stonework or driftwood is an ideal location, giving it a perfect place to root into the wood or stone, and is an ideal complement.

Appearance: Vibrant green leaves with curved blades.
Hope this helps
~Karen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

Guys. Please. I came here for suggestions on plants.(and I got them)

Please don't continue dissing my choice of tank size.

If anyone else has any other plant suggestions for a small tank like mine, feel free to leave them here. Otherwise, please leave my fiskeeping choices alone.

If anyone else has any other plant suggestions for a small tank like mine, feel free to leave them here. Otherwise, please leave my fiskeeping choices alone.

The plants I posted are all the plants that will
do well in your tank ;)
~Karen

i am terribly sorry that we came across in that manner it was not intended. we are only trying to ensure that your fish gets the best.

You're absolutey right - you did come here for advice on plants. However, whilst describing your set-up it highlighted an issue that is not in the best interests of your fish. As fishkeepers, the best interests of your fish should be paramount, the plants are, and should always be, secondary to the fish.

If that offends you then maybe you need to re-think the hobby.

You're absolutey right - you did come here for advice on plants. However, whilst describing your set-up it highlighted an issue that is not in the best interests of your fish. As fishkeepers, the best interests of your fish should be paramount, the plants are, and should always be, secondary to the fish.

If that offends you then maybe you need to re-think the hobby.

I agree.

Hi

While I am not normally a fan of anything under 5g, a 2,5 can work.

This is just my opinion.
I would keep it a low light tank, That means plants like Crypts and Anubias, I would also go with a hang on back filter or a Nano canister filter as these will give you some extra water volume and do not take up much space in or out of the tank. I once re-plumbed a 800 LPH canister filter that held about 5 liters of water to run on a 5 gallon betta cube.

Paint the back of the tank black, use water based matt black paint and a brush, you will need 3 coats.
Black gravel or sand.

Plant a few medium size crypts all over the rear 3?4 of the tank , 3 or 4 will do.
Get some Anubias nana , Tie and super glue 5 or so to some small rocks and arrange as you like, the rocks only need to be big enough to keep the plant on the bottom for a time, this keeps the rhizome above the substrate while the plants send roots into the substrate.

Next get a few more medium Anubias say 3 and attach them to the side of the tank with the top most leaves about 2 inches under water with suction cups this will give your Betta some place to rest.

Something like this. Please note this tank is not mine.
c9d348a0548f65ca99738588f5195cdc--betta-tank-betta-fish.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back