Looking Into Breeding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SlipperyPete

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking into breeding betta fish and have researched quite thoroughly the methods on how to get fry and keep them healthy.
But what I'm after is a way to take care of all the male bettas once they reach the age where they begin to fight, from what I've read you can have as many as 50 male bettas from one spawn! and i can't seem to think of a humane way to keep so many bettas in separate tanks, i sure don't have 50 tanks lying around
tongue2.gif

So if anyone breeds or has bred them and could let me know how to take care of the bettas from this age would be great.

And also a second question, I will be breeding for the fun and enjoyment of it all but is it possible to make money from selling the bettas once they are old enough? And is it better to sell them privately or should I look at trying to sell them to my local fish store?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I think most breeders keep them in small jars (1 gallon max) to seperate them and do daily water water changes close to full volume on each jar.

In my experience unless you have bred some really fancy and unusual bettas there is no money to be made from breeding. Ordinary males go from between £2.50 and £3.50 and females about £2.50. This doesnt leave shops with much room for profit, however they will probably take the young fish off your hands for free. Good luck with it, breeding bettas can be very rewarding.

Thanks guys, I might have to search for some jars! And yeah maybe for the well being of the fish I could give them to the lfs, they are very genuine and care unlike the huge chain stores

Breeding Betta's is hard. Keeping the fry alive and healthy is hard, I know from experience. I bred a total of 6 times with different males and females, raised the fry in a 2 1/2ft long tank yet I still only got 2 to survive and they were from my first ever spawn.
Jars are no good unless it's just temporary. what you are better doing to keep juvenile males separate is getting a couple of 2ft long tanks and dividing them up into about 6 sections each as I highly doubt you're going to get more than about 10-15 males if you manage to raise them.

Oh really? I like the idea of dividing the 2 foot tanks, allowing adequate heating and filtration, these were my main concerns with storing bettas in jars

Oh really? I like the idea of dividing the 2 foot tanks, allowing adequate heating and filtration, these were my main concerns with storing bettas in jars

Yeah, it's a lot easier and a lot healthier for the betta's. Gives them about 8-0L each which although isn't enough to live in permanently it's OK temp and it's bigger than a 1 gallon jar(admittedly only by about 0.2 Gallons but still bigger XD) and good luck. Who knows, it could be my water that kills them off. I only even managed to raise 2 from my first spawn and no more after that :(
I will say, only feed them Microworm for a week and then move them on to Powdered egg yolk as it's better for them and if you feed them Microworms all the time they can either become Belly Sliders(a form of constant dropsy that doesn't kill and isn't contagious) or they'll not develop any ventral fins.

Ok thanks for the tip, any idea where i can get tank dividers from? I had a quick search but can't find what I'm after

Ok thanks for the tip, any idea where i can get tank dividers from? I had a quick search but can't find what I'm after

Penn Plax dividers :)
http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/accessories-5/tank-dividers-95/pennplax-tank-dividers-5.html
Obviously find out what size you'll need for a standard 2ft tank before buying them :lol:

I need help breeding my betta. He has had three batch of frys already and every time the eggs hatched after a day he would eat them, idk why. Any idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Back