Looking for a black labeo shark to purchase

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Steelertime

Reaction score
Hello,
Maybe someone can lead me in the right direction.
25 years ago I had a tank as a teenager with a black shark and when I moved I sold my tank to a roommate.
The shark was one of the most intriguing fish I ever had back then and have been longing to get another one for my new hundred gallon tank.
I cannot seem to find this fish available anywhere. I must have been lucky to have found it at my local pet store many years ago. I've looked on numerous websites and cannot find any that are available.
Does anyone have any information on how and where I could possibly find one?
Any information would be very helpful
Thank you,
Dave

that is a beautiful but very rare fish in the aquarium trade. and for good reason this fish can easily reach 3 ft in length and weigh up to 15 lb. it is also very territorial and thus aggressive. it is a relative of the common carp and thus we should expect it to have a very large bio load and it will also destroy any aquascaping as it will push the gravel around in search of food out of instinct. it will also need a lot of open space and places to hide that will not cause it any harm.

as for tank mates, they will have to also be very large and semi aggressive in order to prevent themselves from being hurt or killed.

this fish requires at east 150 gal at the smallest however i would not suggest anything under 200 gal;).

if you are willing to substitute might i suggest a red tail black shark as they are very common. they only grow up to about 6 in in length. they are also related to the common carp and thus will have a very similar look to the black shark. as far as behavior goes they are still relatively aggressive as they are territorial but it can vary from fish to fish. it is also very interesting to observe this fish as it goes about its business(behavior wise it is almost identical to a black shark) as with the black shark it is also best to keep this fish with slightly larger fish and two should not be kept in a tank.:fish:

For more information look here http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/labeo-chrysophekadion/ Seriously Fish is one of the best fish information sites, and it doesn't say how large a tank needs to be, just comments that it is suitable for "public installations or the very largest .... private aquaria"

Over the years there have been many very large fish inappropriately sold for home aquaria. Shops are getting better at not selling these tank busters, but some shops still them unfortunately.

that is a beautiful but very rare fish in the aquarium trade. and for good reason this fish can easily reach 3 ft in length and weigh up to 15 lb. it is also very territorial and thus aggressive. it is a relative of the common carp and thus we should expect it to have a very large bio load and it will also destroy any aquascaping as it will push the gravel around in search of food out of instinct. it will also need a lot of open space and places to hide that will not cause it any harm.

as for tank mates, they will have to also be very large and semi aggressive in order to prevent themselves from being hurt or killed.

this fish requires at east 150 gal at the smallest however i would not suggest anything under 200 gal;).

if you are willing to substitute might i suggest a red tail black shark as they are very common. they only grow up to about 6 in in length. they are also related to the common carp and thus will have a very similar look to the black shark. as far as behavior goes they are still relatively aggressive as they are territorial but it can vary from fish to fish. it is also very interesting to observe this fish as it goes about its business(behavior wise it is almost identical to a black shark) as with the black shark it is also best to keep this fish with slightly larger fish and two should not be kept in a tank.:fish:

Sean,
Thank you for the information. I will probably try the red tail since it is more suitable for the tank I now have.

Most reactions

trending

Back