FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I am trying to take "portrait" photos of the Albino Long Fin Barbs and see if I can post on this site. I guess if one enlarges photo more detail emerges.
have mobile phones horizontal rather than vertical for photos of fish. And bigger images don't always make it easier to id problems :)

Why did Senegal Bichir Dragon Eel cross the road? (2 answers)
Unrelated: I was wondering if any one had experience with this... I have 3 electric blue cichlids in a tank. They are between 2 & 3 inches. I would like to get one or two LARGE zebra or Tiger Nerite Snails for added color and alage cleaning. Nerites are such great workers.
I know cichlids will eat smaller Snails. I am wondering if a huge snail would be safe from a small cichlid. One chichlid is a little aggressive, the other two aren't. I may just have to try it and watch until the cichlids become used to the Snails. Ideas, experience or feedback welcome.

For Fluttermoth, the current Mrs. Tremount, Thank you for your warm welcome and will certainly take your information under serious advisement. Have a great evening.

Since no one took the bait...Why did the Senegal Bichir, Dragon Eel cross the road? (2 answers)
Answer 1: It crossed the road because it could. Also called Dragon fish, they have a primitive lung that allows it to remain out of water for short periods of time, and it's fins act as primitive limbs to propell it toward prey, another water source and away from predators and drying water holes.
Answer 2: The Dragon Eel crossed the road to get to the ditch on the other side. In their native habitat of Africa, they are known to reside in ditches, streams, rivers, ponds, lakes, tributaries and swamps. For this reason they are also called Swamp Dragons. Their lung allows them to live in low oxygen water conditions. In aquarium conditions, a slightly lower water level must be maintained, as Bichirs require a certain amount of surface oxygen no matter how well oxygenated or pristine the water conditions. Note the frequency with which they swim to the surface.
Fossils have been found linking Dinosaur Eel to Pleistocene, Jurassic and Carboniferous eras. Fossil specimens measuring 7 feet and above have been found.

Large, Hard Working Nerite Snails Doing Well Medium With Medium Small Electric Blue Cichlids.
At first the cichlids looked at the unmoving hulks of striped snail shells with cautious but enthusiastic interest.
I had deposited the zebra striped Nerite snail- underside facing the glass near the bottom of the tank with a sheltering rock protecting them in case the cichlids became too, well, eagerly exploratory.
I had slowly acclimatized the snails to the tank water, but as is their habit they remained inert and in their shell. The cichlids eventually wandered off in apparent boredom assuming, I think, that these were nothing but colorful rocks. The cichlids were quite surprised when the Snails started moving at a fast clip, for a snail. I think they were spooked, having never seen a self propelled moving rock. As the these Snails do not have elongated bodies, their bodies are completely covered by their beautiful shells. The body is visible to the the viewer through the glass. You can see their constantly moving mouths cleaning a path through even heavily algaed tank walls. The Nerite Snails are absolutely great at quickly cleaning tank walls. I use them for cleaning spots in hard to reach spots in the tank. They are wonderful workers and attractive addition to any tank.
I am cautiously optimistic that the cichlids, due to disinterest, and a little caution will keep their distance. Also if the Snails are even slightly bumped they withdraw to the shell but forming a strong suction against the glass. Rarely, they have fallen. (I have had Nerite Snails in my other tanks for years.) Due to their short bodies, they have problems righting themselves. So if you have Nerites and notice one on the tank floor upside down, be sure to pick them up and put them against the wall- body first. I am little apprehensive that one of the cichlids will knock the Snails off the glass and pick at their exposed bodies. This particular tank as a rocky bottom with a stormy shipwreck theme. The uneven substrate should make it easy for the snail to grab hold of a rock and right itself.
In case there are any interested readers, I will keep a log of developments of this experiment of Nerite Snails in a possibly, hopefully not hostile environment. Normally other types of smaller Snails are eaten by are eaten by cichlids. I highly recommend these Snails for none cichlid tanks for their astounding cleaning ability and beauty. They do not breed proliferant ly and over infest another tank like other snails. If I recall rightly, they require brackish water to breed. I will have to check on that. I may take up the challenge and breed a difficult to breed Aquatic (and flying) creature.
There are also smaller Olive Nerite Snails that clean Aquatic plants without damaging or consuming. Ask any knowledgeable fish store expert. They like Nerite snails and the wise ones keep one or two Nerite snails in every tank.

I also have tropical birds for years and occasionally breed difficult to breed birds- and aquatic creatures.

They do not breed proliferant ly and over infest another tank like other snails. If I recall rightly, they require brackish water to breed
Yes they do require brackish water for breeding. I have just got my first few so have been reading up on them :)

I just got a few more Nerites today for another of my tanks. .I also migrate them between tanks, whereever their algae services are needed.
I bought a gold dojo loach that looks more albino. Matches with the other "ghosts" in the Spirit Castle Aquarium. It looks like a ghost dragon. I also picked out a Dwarf African Frog whose turquoise patterned color blends exactly with the castle walls. He stands guard at the castle entrance, nearly invisible until he moves. He has a healthy appetite, and doesn't seem to have problems finding the food. I had read, that you had to park the food in front of them. So, that is what I did. He liked the shrimp pellets I offered him. It's a relief, because I read they could be problem eaters.

The Nerite Snails in the cichlid aquarium are doing fine. I notice they have a tough, leathery "door" when they shut down and shut in for sabbatical.

Some time ago, One Woman Army wrote a significant guide on the pregnancy of live bearers. It could be added that guppies and others present a black spot on their abdomen when they become pregnant. This spot darkens and enlarges as the pregnancy progresses.

I bought a gold dojo loach that looks more albino.

Can I just point out that dojo/weather loaches are very social and should never be kept alone, but always in a group of their own species. Some 'gold' loaches are true albinos, but most are xanthic. You can tell the true albinos because they'll have red eyes.

The Nerite Snails in the cichlid aquarium are doing fine. I notice they have a tough, leathery "door" when they shut down and shut in for sabbatical.

It's called an 'operculum'. Not all snail species have one, but many do, not just nerites. Apple snails and Malaysian trumpets have an operclulm as well :)

Well thanks for the info Flutter Moth. Yes well I read they do well single as wellas in groups. Just as their cousins kuhli loaches. The dojo loach is presently keeping company with a kuhli loach. It seems content. In the fish store I noted it was constantly "on the run", being pursued by it's substantially larger tank mates. As fish do bully smaller neighbors.There is none of that here. The worst is occassionally a bumbling catfish will bump it. It has come to ignore that. Intend to get more of both subspecies; Kuhli and Dojo. I have just cycled a new tank, seeding from other aquariums. Readings are all good but I am adding the new denizens a little at a time. This was the only small dojo they had. The rest were quite large.as far as I could tell in the heavily planted tank I migrated some cichlids to a different tank. They(the cichlids) were used generations of captivity bred 7.6 pH water. I
intend to move the gold dojo with a companion into the well established tank. I intend to camp in front of their large fish store dojo tank until I see another of close matching proportions to bring home to companion my golden dojo. It is in a very peaceful tank now and seems less frantic then it was at the fish store. It has taken residence in one the castle's caves along with the Kuhli loach. Often it comes out to be social.
I have been in this hobby for 40 years and am not entirely without knowledge on the subject matter. I had intended for finding a companion for it this week. If I can't find one at the store I acquired it, then if my friend who manages the fish department of another store may have one. If he doesn't he will order some in the appropriate size.
I thank you for the communication (and the information on the snail) and look forward to communicating with you again, I enjoy your posts.
Incidentlly, who arbitrarily nick names posters on this thread. I am disturbed by the title "fish fanatic". It implies some type of mental disorder. I respectfully request whomever staff attached this title to me please withdraw it. I am serious, caring, helping person that has worked hard and volunteered for reputable non profit agency. Also I have given lodging and help to homeless individuals many times.
I do have a sense of humor but do not find "fish fanatic"funny. I try never to disrespect someone. I would prefer Keeper of the Fish. Or Fin Meister if some levity is supposed to be added.
On this thread, as in life, I try to be helpful. I feel that it is my responsibility. In sincerity- M.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back