Lone Gourami - get him a friend?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

remarkability

Reaction score
Here is Sparky, a lone Golden Gourami who lives in a tall 20-gal tank and has been alone for nearly two years after his few tankmates were uh, evicted by Sparky. Wondering if he is perfectly happy alone or if I should try to find some kind of sedate and non-threatening (and won't be bullied) companion(s). You can see more of Sparky and other of his ilk on the "Fishbook" page on FB. Closed group but you can ask to join.

Attachments

• sparky.jpg
    sparky.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 267
By the way his habitat includes a large tree root-shaped structure where he likes to spend a lot of time when he's not cruising through the bubbler or taking a gulp of air at the surface.

Here is Sparky, a lone Golden Gourami who lives in a tall 20-gal tank and has been alone for nearly two years after his few tankmates were uh, evicted by Sparky. Wondering if he is perfectly happy alone or if I should try to find some kind of sedate and non-threatening (and won't be bullied) companion(s). You can see more of Sparky and other of his ilk on the "Fishbook" page on FB. Closed group but you can ask to join.

Hello and welcome to the forum. From what I know Gouramis are best kept in pairs or small groups. It would be a whole lot easier if all fish got on well with each other though I’m sure many would agree..

Hello and welcome to the forum. From what I know Gouramis are best kept in pairs or small groups. It would be a whole lot easier if all fish got on well with each other though I’m sure many would agree..
Thank you. The pair thing didn't go well and Sparky kind of dominated with prejudice. He's behind me in my office and frequently will sit there watching me so not sure if more residents in the tank would make sense or be a good idea.

Thank you. The pair thing didn't go well and Sparky kind of dominated with prejudice. He's behind me in my office and frequently will sit there watching me so not sure if more residents in the tank would make sense or be a good idea.

You could maybe try a small group of 3/4 if your tank is big enough and cycled. However these are not specifically shoaling fish so I don’t think it’s compulsory to have them in a group I think sometimes they just do better this way. Best of luck.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

I would leave him on his own. Two reasons, both related.

Male gourami are territorial, much like cichlids. It can vary with the species, some being very much so and others less, and it can be confined primarily to the species or extend to any other fish. I know of one member who had had a female gold gourami kill every fish in a 55g tank and in rapid succession.

Which brings me to the second thing...this species is especially aggressive for gourami. The species is Trichopodus trichopterus, and there are several derived varieties such as Blue, Gold, 3-spot, Opaline, Cosby, Marble...but it is the same species and it is considerably more aggressive on the whole than many other gourami species.

I would leave it on its own. Now that it clearly owns the space, it is highly unlikely to accept any intruders, whatever species.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back