Lone Cory wants more friends like him

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AlphinaNovaStar

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My Lone Cory is the only catfish in my tank for too long. I have a 55 gallon tank with other fish like guppies. I do not know how many guppies I have but probably about half a dozen adults and a dozen or so fry.
Back to the Cory problem. I got him at a pet store at a mall maybe last year but that pet store closed down. I am planning and hoping to get to petsmart while they are having a mega sale so I can get a proper filter. I was wondering if it is okay to get younger cory catfish to be buddies with my Cory? Or would the age difference be too bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corydoras are very peaceful and love company. You can add young ones and your older cory won't hurt them in any way :)

Cories would eat eggs, or very tiny fry, but they'll already be bigger than that by time they get into the shop :)

Would they join in and eat my guppy fry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, guppy fry are far too active and good at swimming to get eaten by a corydoras.

I still have not gotten Cory any corydora catfish friends. I thought of it today but decided to put it off once again.
When I can get more catfish, does it matter if the new younger cories are not the same type as Cory? How many cories do you recommend me getting? It is a 55 gallon tank with guppies and platies. Also how long should I wait till I get them since I did just get some platies?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Corys are schooling fish so a group of at least 6 is ideal, which is more then ok in a 55 gallon. No they don't need to be the same type. I currently have 7 with 5 being different types and everyone gets along quite well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back