Lolobunnz's

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

She's so pretty! Great pic!

kewlpics.gif

photo.gif

So today I was supposed to release the wee ones into the high fin tank. Just browsing the tank I spot 3 more same sized fry just swimming about the plants being ignored just chillaxin. Whoah. Gotta catch em all. They didn't neeeed to be caught and my 3 can go out but why not make sure everyone is well fed with fat bellies for a few more days? :p . It seems only calypso is a true high fin at the moment and eclipse...well I have no idea what's up with her weirdo fins. Its so weird!

It hasn't been quite 3 months since everyone's been in the high fin tank so some girls may have been fertile from non high fins from the larger tank they were in previously. So I won't reallt know about high fin to high fin equals all high fins or a mix or not. :(

Idk why these pics aren't as great as the others. Maybe room wasn't bright enough with the sunny window since its late at night now :(. But here they are!!

Enjoy :D

Calypso
20130607_204919-1_zps4a6e9721.jpg

Eclipse (note the bizarre top fin)
20130607_204852-1_zps3741879f.jpg

New spotty fry
20130607_204830-1_zps69041c7d.jpg

Previously caprured rosy peach fry on right/new not yet colored fry on left
20130607_204759-1_zps3f56be47.jpg

Lesser spotted new fry
20130607_204819-1_zpsac46d35e.jpg

Aww look at them! The spots are so cute! My platy fry are 2 weeks old now and starting to get black spots! It's so exciting finding more!
Your pics are very clear do you use a big fancy camera?

I use my galaxy s3 phone. I put a sheet of paper behind the breeder and use flash. It usually takes a lot of photos to get a few good ones. Today I lazily snapped a few and they turned out great. This is just two days after I found the extra 3 fry. The fry I'm guesding are about 3 weeks old. I am assuming that their black spotting will greatly increase to a mild tuxedo-esque form like their older relatives in my high fin tank.

The one fry, you see, has a few spots in a row thru the middle of its body. I believe this is indicative to becoming like a tuxedo.

Here's the pics :3

20130609_202944_zpsdccf9f95.jpg

20130609_202853_zpsf84af2f7.jpg

20130609_202835-1_zps4710b1ed.jpg

20130609_202826_zpscd11f7d6.jpg

20130609_202947_zps1bc10776.jpg

20130609_202939_zps2f128726.jpg

20130609_202931_zps7e2f0933.jpg

Wow for a phone those pics are very good 
good.gif
I love the spotting on them but I love eclipse the best! He is so adorable! I have a soft spot for all black! Who knows, his colours could change. You have a really good mix of different ones!

I would never expect a full black bodied, black finned fry. Not one of my platies has black fins in the high fin tank and none of my platies in either tank are fully black. Also her fins are quite unusual. Doesnt resemble anything I've seen before in my fry experience. Eclipse is definitely the one to be watched. A special little thing just as you pointed out.

I will be doing water changes today and set them all free tomorrow evening. More pics will follow after the impending growth spurt new water and a larger tougher environment will bring!

I think I will also be switching out one of the spotty males with the gold/green bodied red/orange fin and accented male. Hes gorgeous. But I think he's also turning into a ling fin. Ill post a pic of the males as well if I make this change.

Thanks fir the comments! I do appreciate it

Ooh exciting stuff the release! It's so cute seeing how they adapt to it! I have never seen an all black platy before so will be very interesting to see if eclipse stays dark or changes! 

NOface_zps5cc0baac.jpg

I just can't! They aren't guarunteed a good meal and their fat bellies make me happy!

Next week. Next week I have no choice. I promise! :p

But something is going on in my high fin tank.... today I turned the lights on at the usual time and come back an hour later for feeding. Desolate. Nobody is visible. Maybe they just wait until around 230 when I get home and come out. Nope. I feed them and nobody comes out. I poke around the glass where they are nestled at the bottom and it takes a while for them to come out toeat. So weird! I do the water change a couple hours later and.....still they nestle themselves under the java moss log, the marimo moss ball and stay at the bottom of my amazon swords.

I'm quite worried as the 50 gallon community is acting just as usual. Ebery time I look at my high fin tank I see absolutely nobody. When I poke around for them they come out for a while like normal but then settle in hiding again not too long after :(.

So here is the male I want to take the place of one of the two spotty males in my hugh fin tank. Should I? I think he's absolutely stunning!

20130611_193634_zps36491fa7.jpg

Both of my spotty males look just like this
20130518_222431-1_zps66a16481.jpg

Should I? I think I will. After the fry are set free and a bit larger.

I switched out the males. And of course the lime green orangey red new male immediately persues the female both the males were going after. But of course! Poor girl.

I set the fry free! It was time. First they were saught after as food and there I sit poking the tank to distract them while shouting annoyedly, "come on!" Not five minutes later everyone is fine. I fed them (again again) and now fry swim freely and aren't bothered but investigeted from time to time.

Calypso...she....her spine....its bent! My high fin baby nooooo. My original male Brutus (see very firzt post of this thread) I always thought acted a bit off and seemed to be a bit boney. Like spiney. Under his lip he has a bit of a spine seemingly protruding and I love him but I was worried about his genetics. As he is getting older and more spiney he also is getting a curved spine. I think he's defective genetics are the cause to calypsos unfortunate start. I have had niw a total of 3 fry birn with mezsed up spines. All spotty....and brutus was the only male I had that was spottty. The other male is blue and red. Only the two males I had.

This makes me cringe.

I've always done weekly water changes and with them I also test the water. Trust me, all stats fine across the board. 0 ammo 0 nitrite and nitrate never above 40.

She sure is the spry girl tho swimming all over out in the open up and down.

Not all 3 of the bent spine fry were raised in breederz. Only 2 of the three.

*le sigh* :, (
Sry for the crazy typos. I'm not soeaking in new lingo I swear I'm just using my phone!

Aww that's awful sorry to hear that. I have one with a bent spine from the guppy who came pregnant. Now at almost 2 months old, it seems to have fixed itself. 
That's such a shame. I wouldn't let brutus mate with anything else now. 

I can't really seperate him but he hasn't been much of a stallion anyways. I haven't seen him persue a female in months and he's getting pretty old by looking at him. He still has a good belly on him and great colors but looking at him he lookes quite aged. Theres nothing I can do about him but I don't think he is of concern any more.

Fed the high fin tank, and both times I spotted the 4 newest captured spotty and one peachy fry. They are doing great with good fat bellies on them and no curvatures. No high fins either thaf I can see but I know they will look fantastic and I'm just happy they are healthy fry.

But on a more solemn note.....no sign of calypso or eclipse....go figure. Eclipse had wierd fins and calypso with her bent spine...maybe their genetics weeded themselves out :(. They were so unique tho. Its sad but if it happened its for the best I suppose. Who knows, they may be in there keeping low profile. Only time will tell :(.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back