Llj's Ada Tank "refugees From Endor"

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
sincerest apologises if i upset you, it was made in jest.but i can see now that it wasn't funny.
I had actually been rereading the journal in an effort to learn from it, regarding my own pathetic problems.
once again, sorry

stu

sincerest apologises if i upset you, it was made in jest.but i can see now that it wasn't funny.
I had actually been rereading the journal in an effort to learn from it, regarding my own pathetic problems.
once again, sorry

stu

It's ok. :) I did overreact a bit, but it was a frustrating process to watch and the tank had been so successful when I was just doing what I always do. I'll fix the tank.

I'd be interesting to see if you do a marine tank. I've always been interested in them but never found the time to research it! You'll have to put the blog in the planted section though :p

Not meaning to tell on you llj

But she's already got 3 marine tanks now Simon :good:

I've been gone a while :look:

Yep, and so have I. I do indeed have three SW, one of which is a planted Marine.

Well, it was over two months since I last updated, and Lord knows how long it actually went without a water change. Just top-offs. I don't remember the last time I did a water change. Haha, the water level was down a third of the tank in this particular stretch and there was a HUGE blanket of Salvinia. Actually, my anubias were emersed for a few months. The cats had a field day, they picked off fish one by one. So, once finals were over, I had enough and decided to remove the salvinia and do a right proper water change, or rather fill-up.

Algae situation - Really expected worse. Algae was concentrated on the salvinia and not on the actual plants that form part of the scape, some green spot on the glass. This isn't green water that you're seeing. The tank is the color of weak tea, it's that tannic, and this is after 2 water changes. iPhone isn't capturing the brown tones. All green to the iPhone.

Livestock - Cats took care of all but...

5 rasbora gracilis
1 Harlequin
1 lampeye
1 Female betta

Plant situation - Better than I thought. My Madagascar is quite big... Crypts are a little thin, expected in a higher acid environment stemming from neglect... Sags have taken off, Pelia the same. The fissidens also grew emersed for a time.

I really let this tank go. I WISH I had a picture. It kinda looked like my tank after my month away in May, but worse.

I replaced the water, removed the background, and removed the mat of salvinia, it was like an inch thick. Some photos for you

b63974df.jpg

0a8d0194.jpg

5789f49b.jpg

Eventual plans...

1. Lose the pelia, I'm sick of it and I prefer the sags and the crypts
2. Lose another piece of wood, it's too cluttered
3. Keep the tank senza background, which means replace the filter that requires the stupid sponge.
4. Restock, this is sooooooo up in the air as I have no monies and so far all the plans involve very little investment.
5. Add a powerhead.
6. Start dosing again when things calm down

So you all are stuck with me and this journal for now. I can't afford to tear it down and make it Marine, which is my secret, dark ambition, nor can I make it Dutch which is also beyond my finances, but I can take care of it again. It's still a nice tank.

What would you all do for stocking? I want inverts, I'm obsessed with inverts now, especially since I care for them well in my Marine tanks. I also want to begin mixing RO with tap. How did you do this Ian??????

Thanks for looking,

L

still looking nice llj, i use rematerialised RO with some TPN+ chucked in for good measure and haven't lost any shrimp yet.

when using RO for freshwater, i wanted to take full advantage of the RO so try something that need softwater. I was thinking GBR, but they will pic your shrimp off.

still looking nice llj, i use rematerialised RO with some TPN+ chucked in for good measure and haven't lost any shrimp yet.

when using RO for freshwater, i wanted to take full advantage of the RO so try something that need softwater. I was thinking GBR, but they will pic your shrimp off.

Hmmm, wonder if I can use 50/50 RO/Tap. How long did it take you to gradually get a ratio? I wouldn't think you'd add it at once. I still like my harder water, but to take the edge off would be great.

While I love GBR, not sure if I want them. I may go back to the micro rasboras and then do inverts. I'm not entirely sure.

I know for sure that most of the pelia has to go. What do all of you think?

I'd say trim it back a bit but not get rid of it completly. :good:

But I cannot see my anubias. Hmmmm

Lovely tank.

I was curious as to the brand/model of your light fixture...?

Aquaticlife 2x 24W T5 HO - I didn't buy it though. It sort of came with the tank. I won the tank at an auction at last year's AGA Convention

I don't know, I've been thinking about what to put in this tank again, I'm really not sure. :(

Looks fantastic to be honest Liz, very nice indeed.

50/50 mix should be fine. Ian had Chocolate Gourami's and they left his shrimp alone, but they're jumpers, so probably not the best option. :lol:

Looks fantastic to be honest Liz, very nice indeed.

50/50 mix should be fine. Ian had Chocolate Gourami's and they left his shrimp alone, but they're jumpers, so probably not the best option. :lol:

Thanks, I may still trim the pelia back, because I can't see my anubias and I love my anubias.

Now, I do have some lovely salvinia growing in my pond/tub outside. Very large leaves. I may try that and then do gouramis. With some microrasboras. I adored my sparkling gouramis when I was a student in IL, but those may pick on small shrimp. Then add some bamboo shrimp and other inverts.

The 50/50 mix makes it very easy for me to do too. I'm going to try that first, as I want the plants to adjust to the change first.

Do the 50/50 over a few water changes... 90/10, 80/20 etc etc? Unsure tbh as i have never used it.

I have Sparkling Gourami's in with my Cherries and they appear to be fine as the adults are bigger than they are :lol:

They will probably take any young though but if you offer decent cover (which you have done) then they should be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back