Llj's Ada Tank "refugees From Endor"

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lljdma06

Retired moderator :)
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I purchased the second place tank at the AGA convention, see the old journal here, but I was unable to maintain the scape. Lost the stems and the cyperus helferi very quickly, despite TPN+ and CO2 injection, so I gave up on that and the tank had been ignored since the beginning of December (crazy concert schedule and final exam week :crazy:). Crypts were coming back and there was no algae, despite the low plant mass and higher light. But the big thing is that I have to downscale the hobby a bit, and Endor, being the largest tank, was the one to be dismantled. Sad to see Endor go, but literally, I don't know where I'm going to be in a year. It's easier to move empty tanks than full ones, and If I have to move a full one, it better be a small one! :lol: I didn't want to lose a lot of my submerged crypts, and since there would be some room in the ADA tank if I changed things around, I opted for a rescape of the ADA. For reference, the original scape so you can see what I ended up doing...

Wazeter's scape
DSC02537jpgsmaller.jpg

Tank specs...

Tank ADA ~63l tank 60cm x 30cm x 35cm, tank volume ~15-17g depending on the substrate.
Lighting - 2x 24W T5 HO, I know seems like a lot, but I'm not inclined to think it is. Quality of the fixture doesn't seem as good to me. Growth has not been rampant, and for a time, I'll be treating this tank a bit how I treated my Dutch scape back in 2008. If it proves too much, I can easily downgrade the lighting. For now, we're starting with a 5 hour photoperiod. Should be able to up it to 7 or 8 once the tank ages. Tall spriralis & floaters will also shut out some light.
CO2 none for now. I can easily hook some up if I need it, but I've got a gut feeling I won't need it, especially if I know my crypts and know my water.
ferts TPN+
filtration Two Aquaclear 50s, you know me, I like big flow.
Flora Submerged crypts from Endor, anubias, bolbitis (was hiding in Endor), weeping moss, c. parva, dwarf sag (first time with dwarf sag). Planted densly, and will be adding more plants as things clear and a moss wall covering the entire back of the tank. So a very heavy plant mass.
Substrate ADA Amazonia aqua soil, I think, mixed with inert gravel. As soon as the the tank settles, I'll be treating this tank more like a Walstad type tank, less waterchanges.
livestock The inhabitants of the 36g, mostly just rasboras. Tank won't be densly stocked this time. Prefer smaller fish for this tank, and will offer these in classifieds then get a species I like better if I decide to keep this scape longterm.

This, of course, could all change. Right now, I have two Bolbitis, and I was getting tired, and put the short one where the taller one should be. Need to fix that. Also, need to go through the rest of my crypts and place them. Anubias too and some pelia. Then, there is also the wall. Have a huge pile of weeping moss for the job. Should be enough for a decent wall, but I have to buy two dividers to cover the whole back.

Some pictures for you...

DSC03560.jpg

DSC03578.jpg

DSC03568.jpg

DSC03574.jpg

I removed most of the rocks and a piece of wood to make room for more plants. There was very little plant mass before, again, lost anything that was a stem and lost quite a bit to bad root damage from fast planting too. TBH, a lot of the plants were not even planted, but just stuck there. Not good for development and growth. But with the former 4 hour photoperiod, I wasn't getting any algae except for some diatoms on the glass, which I attribute to the ammonia from the Amazonia leeching. I figure a higher plant mass will be ok.

Guys, don't follow my lead. Keep doing what you're doing. With my water quality and my particular circustances, often what will work for me will not work for anyone else. I have done higher light systems in the past with no CO2 and have had success. It makes my setups kind of quirky. Crypts also really don't like CO2 injection where I live and like more waterchanges, so this is going to be a strange system.

Here is a YouTube video. I'm loving my iPhone 4, I can take video now with phone... :yahoo:

Regardless, it's nice to finally get this scape going. I think it looks good. A definite sister scape to Endor. I think it helped to remove the third piece of wood as there's a lot more room for plants and it's easier to move around in there. Needed a few rocks to weigh down one of the pieces of wood that I kept, but they are hidden and not part of the scape.

Thanks for looking. What I don't end up using, I'll be getting rid of over at classifieds. Actually, have a lot of stuff to get rid of.

llj

Nice, but it looks like you don't want you crypts to grow any further. They are very densely planted... Is that anubia nana petite under the larger the anubia? Very nice plant...

A shame that you had to dismantle other tanks. I know how it is though, if you don't know what is going to happen with your life...

Sorry Frank, but llj has just pipped you at the post with this one. This is gonna be great when established. I'm with Lu, reagarding the crypts, just see how they go. Ace!, llj. :good:

Make sure we get a weekly photo of the tank ;)

Thanks everybody. It still needs some work. Have to buy the tank dividers.

Nice, but it looks like you don't want you crypts to grow any further. They are very densely planted... Is that anubia nana petite under the larger the anubia? Very nice plant...

A shame that you had to dismantle other tanks. I know how it is though, if you don't know what is going to happen with your life...

Yes, it's a shame I'll have to dismantle Endor. The tank's over 4 years old. I don't like it at all, but it's better than way than to have to deal with multiple tanks if I move. I have friends who went through the process of moving with multiple complete setups, it's not fun.

And yes, it is petite nana underneath the nana. Some of it's from the original scape, but some are from Endor. I stuck one above in high lighting. I'd like to get some flowers if I can.

I'll address the crypt observation here. No, I don't want the crypts to get taller, this isn't a large tank. I have found, however, and this may be just me, when I plant crypts densely, I get more runner and daughter plants. This will often create a lawncover effect, which is what I want here; dense but not necessarily large. I have also found that they grow faster when densely packed. These are some pictures from Claus Christensen's lecture at the AGA convention. It's because he would show us the conditions where various plants would grow and let me tell you, we wouldn't want those aquariums! :sick: But, boy would we want the plants...

This concrete tub was in the middle of the jungle. As you can see it's shaded. Got filtered sunlight for only a few hours.

DSC02478.jpg

This is what was growing in that tub... Look how densely packed they are in there.

DSC02479.jpg

Sorry Frank, but llj has just pipped you at the post with this one. This is gonna be great when established. I'm with Lu, reagarding the crypts, just see how they go. Ace!, llj. :good:

Make sure we get a weekly photo of the tank ;)

Frank did a great job and I'm not happy that I couldn't maintain the scape. If the planting had been done at a more leisurely pace, and if I had had more time to donate to that particular scape's challenges, I think the scape would have been fine. The biggest flaw in his scape according to the judges was the third piece of wood and the linear rock placement. I did remove that part of the scape & more cleverly hid the rocks that weigh down the wood.

There's an advantage to using submerged plants in the planting process. I doubt these will melt even, as they are going between similar environments. In fact the new tank is better as there are no competing aponogetons.

Now, I'm going to sound very silly, Ian, but what does "pipped you at the post with this one mean". Lost in across the pond translation. PM me with the answer if you have to. As things get constructed, I'll keep you posted. I'm worried that the Amazonia is leeching again because I mucked around in there, so I'll be doing another waterchange today and changing the position of the Bolbitis if I can.

I hope the Crypts work, IME they grow and grow. Prove us wrong llj! :good: Love the Anubias in the vid as well, they look very healthy.

:lol: Oh, I do want them to grow, just my way... :lol:

If you saw the lighting levels that I got some of the Anubias from, you'd die. Some of them were under the giant moss ball and it was very dark. Made me wish I had a PAR meter. Might be what I get for my birthday next year.

Need to make a better video, with a music soundtrack like yours. :)

Got the right tank dividers. :yahoo: Will be drinking my mojitos and constructing the wall today. Of course, will post pix and video when I'm done.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Ok, after a couple of mojitos (please excuse typos :drink:), I put up the moss wall. Some pictures for you... & a youtube video. I'm not good at these vidos, I've really got to work on my skills. Ian, my iPhone 4 ia not letting me upload directly to youTube, though it's an option, so I'll be working on this this weekend. I think that's the key, TBH. Right now, I'm sending the video to my email and then uploading to Youtube and it loses quality during that second step. If I learn to upload directly from the iPhone to YouTube, I think the videos will be better.

The moss wall looks pretty darn full already, which is awesome. Used the Insta-Wall approach that I used for my 8g, and frankly it took a lot less time to do. :lol: The wood came up again when I put the walls in place. Had to do another waterchange and fix the wood. Took the opportunity to fix a few plants.

DSC03597.jpg

DSC03614.jpg

DSC03595.jpg

DSC03624.jpg

DSC03619.jpg

If things go well, I'll move the 36g inhabitants into the tank next week. Need to be up on my waterchanges. Hopefully this scape will work. I'm excited about. Let me know what you think.

llj :good:

That looks as though it's grown already???!! It looks really good llj, really healthy get those fish in. I have been thinking about species you could put in there...are you still thinking embers? Keep the vids coming :good:

Sorry, I didn't get to you sooner. Computer trouble. Still on the iPhone... Sigh... No, it hasn't grown, :lol: but the moss wall does change things, doesn't it? I think in a good way. Water's starting to clear up very quickly too. The huge plant mass helps and I imagine I'll have to dose soon. Can't put embers, have to move the fish refugees from the 36g to this tank. Have some otos, rasboras (R. gracilis & harlequins), & a lone platy. I like fish to look small in a tank & unfortunately these fish were perfect for the 36g. They are fine spacewise, but it's more of an aesthetic issue for me. Who knows? They may look great. They're not very bright fish. If I did anything, I'd build schools with the species I already have. Maybe a bottom dweller, but it's not a sand substrate, so perhaps not.

Of course I'll keep the videos coming, I need the practice! :good:

wow I love this one Llj

To my eye that looks so much better than the original scape as I;m more into the jungle and forest look of planted scapes

Its the kind of scape I;d like for mine with the discus in there :good:

wow I love this one Llj

To my eye that looks so much better than the original scape as I;m more into the jungle and forest look of planted scapes

Its the kind of scape I;d like for mine with the discus in there :good:

thanks. If you want a scape like that, :lol: You're going to need a lot of moss, Simon! I wonder if moss walls can be done with 150g tanks? What a job for like a 24pack of beer and lots of spare time! :hyper:

Tanks much clearer today and looky looky!!! Another video.

I'd come over to the Pool and help you Simon.

It's looking really nice llj, and loving the vids. I do love pics, but the vids make it more personable, if ya get me.

Looking good Llj.

Already has that Llj style to it ;)

I totally agree with some of thoe comments above. I find it quite hard to convince people to go lower light when I'm using LED lighting however 2-3 years ago before I started getting CO2 and circulation right I wouldn't be able to use that much light. I think getting those 2 right also enabled me to do the full on no CO2 no water change route too.

I also agree on the Crypts. Dense planting is the way to go. They look so much better when they are dense and thats how I do them. Every time I get a runner though I snip it off with my scissors well below the sand. they always seem to come up in the front. lol. Then I shove it in the crowd in the mid to rear.

Not sure I agree that planting densely keeps them low though. Doesn't seem to matter in my setup. Maybe the difference in water parameters. Mine all grow taller than any guide whether with or without CO2 and whether high or lower light.

Keep us updated. Will look cool when the Crypts get fully into swing :)

AC

Most reactions

Back