Literal Mystery Snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ElizabethFrancine

Reaction score
So I have a little mystery on my hands with my mystery snail. I have 1 (ONE) mystery snail, which I have had for a little over a month. Yesterday, I discovered that I have two more tiny baby mystery snails. I haven't seen any eggs anywhere, and I am assuming that without a male there shouldn't be any forthcoming surprises. How many more baby's can I expect from this one time? When a little bigger I am going to try to put one in my son's betta tank, but otherwise I really don't want many more.

I've heard they can store sperm but I'm not sure how long, if your water level is low enough they will lay eggs above the water, if you don't want eggs, raise your water level so they can't lay

They also lay clutches of around 100 so it's odd that you're only seeing 2. Babies have been known to crawl around inside the shell of the adults, maybe your snail brought them with her when you bought it?

I'm wondering if they laid the eggs below the water. I haven't seen any eggs above the water line. The storing sperm makes sense. I only got one to prevent having 20!

Here's a pic. Kinda cruddy because I had to zoom in all the way. This guy is about 3mm across if I had to guess.
58821010baa8a3f034fd558be193e109.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm maybe it'll remain a mystery for all time. But I think just keep your water topped off at all times and you shouldn't have any breeding hopefully. Good luck!

Hmm maybe it'll remain a mystery for all time. But I think just keep your water topped off at all times and you shouldn't have any breeding hopefully. Good luck!

Will do. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back