Lily Pipe Or Spray Bar?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ted28

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As the topic says which is better the lily pipe or the spray bar?

I bought a jbl lily pipe from aqua essentials 2 weeks ago it it has made a remarkable difference in my tank. The water is far cleaner and my plants are growing better becuase theyre not getting blown about the way they were before with the spraybar.

Lily pipes only work properly though if you have a powerful. Im running a tetratec ex1200 which is for a tank of up to 500 litres in my 200 litres tank so they lily pipe is working the way it should, Slowing the current down but circulatres the water around the tank alot better.

I bought a jbl lily pipe from aqua essentials 2 weeks ago it it has made a remarkable difference in my tank. The water is far cleaner and my plants are growing better becuase theyre not getting blown about the way they were before with the spraybar.

Lily pipes only work properly though if you have a powerful. I'm running a tetratec ex1200 which is for a tank of up to 500 litres in my 200 liters tank so they lily pipe is working the way it should, Slowing the current down but circulates the water around the tank alot better.

Thanks Karl. I bought a lily pipe to see if it distributes the water a bit better than the spray bar. You've sold me on the idea :good:

Lily pipes are best with higher flow rates i.e. >5x tank volume's turnover per hour. This ensures no "dead-spots" occur.

The good water movement is also idea for CO2 microbubbles produced via glass/ceramic diffusers, where if circulation is not effective, the bubbles simply shoot to the water surface.

In large tanks (>48") it may be prudent to have two lily pipes, each with a good filter attached.

The glass lily pipes look the best i.e. ADA, Aquilli and the newly imported Cal Aqua, all available from Aqua Essentials.

JBL and Eheim do plastic versions for a fraction of the cost, and are less delicate.

The good water movement is also idea for CO2 microbubbles produced via glass/ceramic diffusers, where if circulation is not effective, the bubbles simply shoot to the water surface.

Exactly what ive done with my lilly pipe. Positioned it so it blows the microbubbles down and to the other side of the tank. Works a treat.

I bought an eheim lily pipe from aqua essentials for the 2213 classic external filter. I want to circulate the co2 from the ceramic diffuser better than it has been with the spray bar. It circulates just above 3x the tanks capacity per hour. So George, is that sufficient?

Give it a go and time will tell.

The only real problem with lily pipes is that it is difficult to place the diffuser beneath them because they jut too far in to the tank. I have just bought a Cal Aqua lily pipe and am buying a CO2 reactor for that reason.

Cheers, Dave.

Lily pipes only work properly though if you have a powerful. Im running a tetratec ex1200 which is for a tank of up to 500 litres in my 200 litres tank so they lily pipe is working the way it should, Slowing the current down but circulatres the water around the tank alot better.
Hello ted28,
My tank parameters are very close to yours. I have a 47 gallon tank with Fluval 406. I wanted to buy lily pipes, but I thought they only work for small tanks. Could you please post make and model of lily pipes your purchased?

Thank you

Most reactions

Back