Lights on air pump??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Martinbaker

Reaction score
Hi I was thinking of adding something like this to my new tank when I get it.

Will haveing light in the tank 24 hours upset the fish??? Can you get remote control ones so the light don' come on when have main tank light On?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171129-163503.png
    Screenshot_20171129-163503.png
    257.7 KB · Views: 351
Fish need a period of total darkness every 24 hours so I would not get that attachment for an air pump. If you want bubbles, you can get air stones/bubble wands that don't light up.
The other alternative would be to turn the air pump off when the room lights are out.

I am also sceptical about underwater lighting after a supposedly IP68 rated small LED light I bought leaked. The company (Arcadia) said it was the individual LEDs that were IP68 rated, not the tube they were in so it was OK for that to fill with water, but the individual LEDs started failing one by one. They did send me a free replacement. I have noticed they no longer make this particular light.

Yh I do think they look good but was unsure if they really worth it and was looking at the pros and cons don' want to get everything up and running something like that to go wrong

I had something similar for a tank a few years ago and I remember it came with a small remote that allowed you to turn the lights on and off and change the colours, I don't know what the longevity is of the product though as didn't use it for long, I felt my fish didn't appreciate having a disco in their tank lol!

I had something similar for a tank a few years ago and I remember it came with a small remote that allowed you to turn the lights on and off and change the colours, I don't know what the longevity is of the product though as didn't use it for long, I felt my fish didn't appreciate having a disco in their tank lol!

Yh I see what you mean. I think it' more of a fashion thing..

I am got a bit of a nightmare of picking what fish I want to get when got the new tank set up I said about guppys,rainbows but with the 140lt tank could only have eight rainbows and want a fish that I high have more of

To your initial question, this is not something you should put in a tank with fish. Light has a profound effect on fish. Essjay mentioned the critical issue of a period of total darkness, and that is one aspect. But light in the water itself is not natural to fish, and will cause stress. Light should only be from above the surface, as this is natural; ambient light from windows and lamps in the room is usually not much of a problem, though it can be.

Colours also affect fish. "Cones" in our eyes are how we perceive colours; while mammals (like us) have two types of cones, fish have three—one for each of the colours red, green and blue. These connect to nerve cells which transmit images to the brain, and the optic lobe is the largest part of the fish’s brain. So light, and colours in the light, are extremely important for fish.

I can go into detail on how light affects fish, I have done this in other threads in the past, but won't at this point; it can get involved. The main thing to keep in mind is that light is a serious issue for fish; keep it as natural as possible to avoid stress.

To your initial question, this is not something you should put in a tank with fish. Light has a profound effect on fish. Essjay mentioned the critical issue of a period of total darkness, and that is one aspect. But light in the water itself is not natural to fish, and will cause stress. Light should only be from above the surface, as this is natural; ambient light from windows and lamps in the room is usually not much of a problem, though it can be.

Colours also affect fish. "Cones" in our eyes are how we perceive colours; while mammals (like us) have two types of cones, fish have three—one for each of the colours red, green and blue. These connect to nerve cells which transmit images to the brain, and the optic lobe is the largest part of the fish’s brain. So light, and colours in the light, are extremely important for fish.

I can go into detail on how light affects fish, I have done this in other threads in the past, but won't at this point; it can get involved. The main thing to keep in mind is that light is a serious issue for fish; keep it as natural as possible to avoid stress.

That was really well explained thank you for you time I will keep it natural

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back