Lighting

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

g930751

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I currently have a live planted tank and I have my lights on 6 30 till 5 I would wounding if I could turn my light off for e.g 4 hour during the day and gain the 4 hour on the night because I go to work at 6 45 and get back at 5 so I don't get to see them just asking don't want the fish to stress out or my plants dieing thank

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

I have the same issue :) im in work 7/8am till 6pm ish. I use a timer which plugs into the mains (light into timer into mains) and have that run between 1pm and 9pm daily :) i havent had issues yet. If your tank gets hit by daylight then that will make a difference

No daylight on the tank I was thinking about putting the timer on 6 -9 and then 12-9 do you think it will be alright?

My Lights are on a timer 9 am to 9 pm.

bimclc.jpg

You had any problems with alge

It would be better for the plants and the fish if you have the period of tank light consistent, not broken into two periods [I'll come back to why momentarily].  As you are not home from 5:30 am to 6 pm (when I was working I had the same hours with the commute) it makes sense to have the tank light on when you are there to enjoy the aquarium.  You can set the timer to turn the light on during the day, say 12 noon or 1:00 pm, and off at say 8 pm or 9 pm, depending upon your schedule.  There are two things to keep in mind.

The room must not be in darkness when the tank lighting comes on or goes off, so you want ambient room light whether from a window during the day or artificial lighting at night.  And this ambient lighting needs to be present for at least half an hour before the tanklighting comes on and at least half an hour after it goes off.  This avoids shocking the fish with sudden light/darkness which is not natural.  You are aiming to provide a sort of dawn and dusk as in nature.

Second, there must be a period of continuous complete darkness during each 24 hours.  This is the period during which the fish's biological processes slow, and the fish relaxes.  It is the same as our sleep.  So in the example above, this would be from 9 or 10 pm (after the tank lighting and all ambient room lighting is off and the room is in total darkness) until dawn when daylight may enter via a window.  The reason for this has to do with the reason you should not have the "daylight" broken up.

Fish, like all animals, have what is called the circadian rhythm, a sort of biological clock that runs on a 24-hour period.  Plants have a very similar reactive response to light.  The circadian rhythm is governed by light.  Not only do the eyes perceive light, but cells do as well; this is why we experience jet lag, and there are problems when daylight savings time occurs.  In fish this light/dark is even greater; every cell on their body reacts to light and dark.  Once you are regular with the tank lighting, you will quickly observe that the fish will come to "expect" the light coming on and going off.  That is because of the circadian rhythm.  Experiments with blind fish have proven that this response does not depend upon the fish's eyesight, but because every cell is affected by light and dark.

This is why the period of "daylight" when the tank lighting is on should always be continuous, and roughly the same every day.  It makes the fish's life much simpler, as they can save energy for more important things, as there is less stress when everything occurs the same day after day.  I know some high-tech planted tank aquarists will suggest the siesta approach, of having the tank lighting on for say 4 hours, off for 3-4, then on for another 4 hours.  But biologically this is harmful to the fish.  The plants will be affected too, but plants can adjust to varying periods whereas fish cannot, at least if we want them to be in the best health.

If algae is a problem, reducing the "daylight" period is the best way to deal with this, though sometimes an excess of fertilizers can cause algae too.  But sort out the light/nutrient balance rather than jumping into something that will be stressful to the fish.

Byron.

NickAu said:

You had any problems with alge
Never.

This avoids shocking the fish with sudden light/darkness which is not natural.
Byron would a programmable light work?

Something like this?
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Wholesale-Herifi-Programmable-400mm-600mm-900m_60243679812.html?s=p

This is a step in the right direction.  The problem is that when the tank is sitting in a completely dark room, any light that goes on or off over the tank itself is something of a shock to the fish.  You want some light outside the tank.  It is impossible to fully replicate nature here, as the gradual light dawn/dusk is so unique.  A dimmer effect is what we are after, but I don't think that exists in aquarium lighting.  The linked fixture has stages, which as I say in going in the right direction, but the ambient room light is still very important.  We must also keep in mind that the light inside the tank, from the overhead fixture, is being reflected around the tank by the glass walls, and maybe substrate, so the ambient light out in the room is all that much more important to start and stop the light.

Thanks a lot I will do that the only thing is when I leave for work and the lights arnt on will the fish feed, and I don't use fertilizers anymore cut them out about 2-3months ago and better than ever

g930751 said:
Thanks a lot I will do that the only thing is when I leave for work and the lights arnt on will the fish feed, and I don't use fertilizers anymore cut them out about 2-3months ago and better than ever

You should feed the fish when the tank light is on, and has been on for at least half an hour, preferably more, so the fish are fully "awake" as the light coming on requires at least 20-30 minutes for the fishes' eyes to adjust and they will be too stressed to properly eat.  When I was working, I changed their feeding from the morning to when I got home at 6 pm.  With a couple hours of light following this, they adjusted well.

It is also wise to be around when the fish feed.  Doesn't have to be every day, but you should sit and observe them during feeding some days as this is a good time to see all of them and you can more easily see any issues as they will normally be more active when feeding.

My tank light is off all morning long.  A few hours after noon the light turns on and then goes off just before i go to bed.   Its on a timer.  most of the morning the tank gets very little light but at about noon the room brightens up enough that the fish start to wake up.  Fish don't appear to have any problem with this.

Byron said:

You should feed the fish when the tank light is on, and has been on for at least half an hour, preferably more, so the fish are fully "awake" as the light coming on requires at least 20-30 minutes for the fishes' eyes to adjust and they will be too stressed to properly eat.  When I was working, I changed their feeding from the morning to when I got home at 6 pm.  With a couple hours of light following this, they adjusted well.

It is also wise to be around when the fish feed.  Doesn't have to be every day, but you should sit and observe them during feeding some days as this is a good time to see all of them and you can more easily see any issues as they will normally be more active when feeding.
Oh boy this is great info that I was unaware of!! I always wake up (8ish) and turn my light on and the fish are begging and wiggling and all excited for food and that's when I've been feeding them. I'll hold off a little from now on.
I also shut my light off before I head to bed usually around 10ish and it's already dark so I'm shocking them. Goodness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find my fish dont eat as enthusiastically towards the end of the day anyway! I tend to feed just before i go to work when theyre awake and about from the lights in the room but before the main lights are on :)
I also had an algae problem and just introducing the regularity in lighting fixed it... And the timer cost like £3...

Hi,
Sorry to butt in on this thread, I am going to be setting up a planted tank, lighting wise I have an arcadia T5 electronic ballast 54w, what I need to know is what bulbs should I go for? I am sticking to the arcadia classica range, and have looked at the original tropical pro and plant pro high output, but which one would be best? Also do I go for 2 of the same or 1 of each? The tank has plenty of natural daylight during the day, and i have a timer for when it gets dark etc, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Most reactions

Back