The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lesleyanndunn

Reaction score
nearly all set on getting tank up and running

we have a juwel lighting T8 unit with 2x 54w bulbs
we would like blue marine light instead of just white
whats the easiest way of achieving this?
change to t5 lighting unit or arcadia luminaire?
or can you get t8 marine bulbs?

:blink: all very confusing :crazy:

Wait, I'm confused... Are you sure you have T8 bulbs? Cause I've never heard of 54watt T8 bulbs. 54watt is a wattage for 48" long T5 HO bulbs actually.

well its a 48'' hood, and says on juwel site that they are T8 bulbs :unsure:

they have out the new high lite T5 range that we can buy, but for the price of that with the bulbs, we could buy a luminaire

only thing im worried about the luminaire is fish jumping out :crazy:

we would also have to cut hood to fit in skimmer which we dont want to do either

:shout: HELP

:hyper: :hyper:

well its a 48'' hood, and says on juwel site that they are T8 bulbs :unsure:

they have out the new high lite T5 range that we can buy, but for the price of that with the bulbs, we could buy a luminaire

only thing im worried about the luminaire is fish jumping out :crazy:

we would also have to cut hood to fit in skimmer which we dont want to do either

:shout: HELP

:hyper: :hyper:

NB have just read that they are T8 38w bulbs :blink:

Ok that makes more sense :). Are you keeping jumping fish in the tank? (wrasses, gobies, dwarf angels). Of not, running open-topped is no problem. You could also go with the luminaire and egg crate if you do want to keep jumpers :)

Yeah, gobies will jump almost certainly. Egg crate is the stuff they use to protect flourescent light bulbs in hanging-cielings. The kind of setups you see in office complexes with the square tiles in the cieling and light fixtures with this plastic grating protecting the bulbs. You can usually find the stuff at your local hardware store in the hanging cieling section ;). Comes in either mirrored reflective or white colors. I used to use it when I used a luminaire, works great

Oh yea, know the stuff now

I was reading that you should also use the stuff under your live rock to protect the glass from any edges and also better water flow between the rock and sand?

that a better option that just sand then rock on top?

It's a good option for sure. Spreads the weight load around which can be more of a concern in the UK with non-tempered glass bottoms. Not so big a deal here in the States as our tempered bottom tanks really handle point-stresses very well.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back