Lighting For 48 Gallon With Anubias

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mark Z.

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just removed all my plastic plants and replaced them with live ones! I love the look.

I was planning on only buying a few anubias, but I wound up buying three anubias (not sure what kind), three java ferns, three short maroonish crypts and two lily bulbs.

My tank is a 48 gallon. I bought a Coral Life Colormax T8 32-watt bulb and once a week I will add a capful of Seachum Flourish as directed by the people at the store. The anubias and java fern have been tied to driftwood. The only plants actually planted are the crypts.

I have my light on a timer for about 8-9 hours a day. I know the anubias and java fern are "low light" plants, so I am wondering if the light will be on too long for them. I want to avoid algae, but want them and the other plants to get enough light.

Also, one of the anubias has small white bumps on its stems. I imagine they are some sort of parasite. Should I be concerned?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Mark

You light should be fine for these low-light plants.  The crypts are a fair distance down, but time will tell if they are managing or not.  Floating plants can be used to shade overhead light.

As for the white bumps, any chance of a photo?

Byron.

Thanks, Byron!

I'll see if I can get a photo.

Mark

Let's see if I can do this....

It was difficult to get a clear photo of the white spots. They are only on the stems, not the leaves. On one stem, it actually looks like there is a slit in the stem and the white bumps are inside it; kind of like a pea pod. Not sure if it translates well in the photo.

Maybe I can remove the plant and scrape them off with an X-acto knife? Or should I not bother?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1589-2.jpg
    IMG_1589-2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1552-2.jpg
    IMG_1552-2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 109
I cannot recall ever seeing something like that.  See if one of the other members can advise.

One thing that is interesting is that they seem to be spaced apart uniformly. I'll keep an eye on them. They are solid white.

Nerite snail eggs. My female nerite lays her eggs in orderly rows. Once she did a straight line for about three inches of eggs. It was fairly impressive. Do you, OP, have any nerite snails? If you don't, you might have picked up some hitch-hikers, but if they are nerites, and I'm positive they are, they likely won't hatch.

Thanks!

I don't have any snails. I just bought the plants yesterday.

I did have two nerite snails before, but found out that denison barbs eat them!

Thank you both for your help! I feel better about my lighting and my plants.

Mark

Mark Z. said:
Thanks!

I don't have any snails. I just bought the plants yesterday.

I did have two nerite snails before, but found out that denison barbs eat them!

Thank you both for your help! I feel better about my lighting and my plants.

Mark
you will get snails carried in with he plants every place i have bought or ordered them from i have got snails mostly bladders snails small quick breeding snails that will always survive but there quite cute and quite quick and develop a metallic coppery colour to their shells when they get full grown around 1 cm to 1.5cm you will also possibly get nertie snails which you do have according to attibones which is probably right mods normally are you could get sulawesi snails they're unusual they dig substrate and are quite expensive i got four which is about £20 of snail (30$) and you can also get small ramshorn looking snails which i have found don't live very long 
getting fish is incredibly rare as they need to be permanently submerged in water which is prevented due to the fact allot of plants are packed in humid bags not water 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back