FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ZoddyZod

Constantly learning
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hello,

I have Fluval Osaka 320L (pics in the link) with the suspended lighting unit

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fluval+osaka+320&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoA2oVChMIscm_yp3qxgIViRbbCh0G6ggR&biw=1302&bih=671

Two days ago it failed to turn on. I changed the fuse in the plug and on it came, but only one bulb was working. I left it like that overnight and the next day it failed to switch on again. Replaced the apparently faulty bulb and the fuse again but this time nothing, it's completely dead.

At first I thought the faulty bulb had blown the fuse for a 2nd time, but that can't be correct now that I have replaced it.

Any pointers as to where to go from here?

Is it plugged into a timer?

Could the timer be faulty if it is in a timer unit?

Other than that, not much to add, is the light still under warranty/guarantee?
If so, take it back and get a replacement unit, easiest way imo.

it's on a timer but tested without it

Long past its warranty.

If it's the ballat, is there a way to check and confirm that is the fault before spending the money on trying to fix/replace it?

Before testing, check the ballast condition itself, replace if it appears burned, swollen or is leaking fluids.

If all appears satisfactory then try a simple test with a multimeter.

Set the multimeter to the ohm setting (omega symbol). Choose "X1K" if there are multiple ohm settings on your multimeter.

Insert one probe of the multimeter in to the wire connector holding the white wires together. Touch the remaining probe to the ends of the blue, red and yellow wires leading from the ballast.
Depending on the ballast, you may have only red and blue wires.
If the ballast is bad, the needle on the multimeter will not move or the LCD display stays at zero or no change. If the ballast is still good, the needle should sweep to the right across the face of the multimeter or LCD will display numbers up to whatever the current resistance is set at.

if you dont have a multimeter, a new ballast might be cheaper.  :)  A typical T5HO ballast is about 20 bucks here in Maryland.

I guess I need to strip the unit down and have a look then. Might be able to grab a multimeter from work, if not I'll try and source a like-for-like ballast.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back