Leaking Pump/filter - Fluval 205....again

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stoofa

Reaction score
I use a Fluval 205 pump/filter.
I was very happy with it, it ran without issue for nearly two years when suddenly it started leaking.
It seemed to be leaking from around the seal.
So deciding the unit had done a good job and it was the right size to fit inside our cabinet we decided to just buy a new one.
We transferred all of the media from the old to the new and away we went.
All has been find for about a month and now the new one has started to leak as well.
We come down in a morning and there is water leaking out of the bottom of the cabinet.
I've checked all of the connections and they seem OK.
So what could be causing this unit to leak?

When we replaced the filter we didn't replace the tubing running from the pump/filter and into the tank.
The tubing appeared to be identical, well it was the same pump, but is there a possibility we need to replace that as well?
If it's the seal that has failed again, why after only one month? And what Can I do to fix this?

I obviously can't keep something running that is leaking. I cannot afford to keep on buying new pumps and filters.
I also don't want my fish suffering - so I need to find a solution here.

Any ideas?

Ta

My 405 had a leaky seal. I read somewhere that the seals can dry up quite easily and not seal properly. I now apply vaseline to the seal every time I clean it and put it back together. It has never once leaked again. Apart from the main seal, I suppose it could be leaking through the Aquastop valve or the seals inside it or maybe a crack in the piping? I would got for the main seal first though. Try cleaning it and applying some vaseline.

i have had 3 305'5 one i sold with the tank, but found the rubber seal sometime leaked so you remove the rubber and clean in the grove with an old toothbrush, sometime there is a bit of grit, or baby snail either in the grove or on the rubber itself, make sure it properly inplace there is usually a reason once you suss it all should be fine, keep trying, di

I removed the rubber seal, totally coated it in vaseline and reseated it.
Within half an hour I've got a slow but steady stream of water leaking down the side.
Absolutely no doubt at all that it's leaking from this seal.
I'll remove it all yet again and see if the groove needs cleaning out.

Totally losing faith in the Fluval products.
However I'm extremely limited on space - had to buy another 205 as the 305 wouldn't fit and just cannot afford to keep on buying different pumps and filters.

Within half an hour I've got a slow but steady stream of water leaking down the side.

However I'm extremely limited on space - had to buy another 205 as the 305 wouldn't fit and just cannot afford to keep on buying different pumps and filters.
I have the same problem with a 405, cleaned and greased main seal and still leaking but from a different position than before i striped it so seams to be the seal so have orderd a new one.

I have the same problem with a 405, cleaned and greased main seal and still leaking but from a different position than before i striped it so seams to be the seal so have orderd a new one.

The 04/05 series seals are cheap enough to always have a spare one in the cupboard next to the filter ready to do a swap!!

After just a month though, I wouldn't have thought the seal would be knackered, so maybe worth contacting Fluval for advice, or the place you bought the new filter from!!!

Alan

DID YOU BUY THE FILTER NEW?after one month there must be a warranty. So use it,they need to fix it,replace it or give you the money back.

P.s my 204 never leaked and it was bought second hand. But my 305 its brand new and leaked on the first day.But it was the O-ring that wasn't setup properly.

The 04/05 series seals are cheap enough to always have a spare one in the cupboard next to the filter ready to do a swap!!

After just a month though, I wouldn't have thought the seal would be knackered, so maybe worth contacting Fluval for advice, or the place you bought the new filter from!!!

Alan
Yeah good shout alan i think i only paid about £6 for it.

It's been a while since I posted.
I once again stripped everything down, used vaseline and once again put it into service.
For just over two weeks everything was fine, no leaking etc.
Now this evening it has just started leaking again for no reason.
So I've stripped everything down once more and just this moment started it all up and I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it leaks again.

In answer to a question - yes, this was the purchase of a brand new filter so I fully agree it certainly shouldn't be leaking so soon.
I shall contact Fluval, but of course that doesn't help me at the moment - compounded by the fact I'm off into hospital tomorrow for a fortnight - so who knows what I'll find when I get out!

Does anyone have any contact details for Fluval - Postal address, email, phone numbers?

I had a similar issue. I have had my 205 for about a year and after I recently cleaned it, it started leaking out the drain holes at the top of the main canister. I took it apart a few times and cleaned the gaskets with no luck and all of the gaskets looked to be in great shape without any visible wear. I narrowed the leak down to the Aquastop valve at the top and not the canister lid gasket. If you look down on the top of the canister lid where the Aquastop valve plugs in, you will see an open channel between the two ports. This channel will drain leaking water into the lid and out through the drain holes at the top of the canister. The drain holes are hard to notice, but they are up underneath the handle area where the lid clamps on. This really makes it look like the leak is coming from the canister lid gasket, when it is actually coming from the Aquastop valve. I went to Lowe's and got a small jar of Silicone Grease for $3.37. It is Danco brand (#88693) in a small grey 1oz plastic pop-top jar. It was hanging in the faucet repair section with the replacement gaskets. It is a really thick/sticky gel, kinda like Vaseline. I carefully removed the gaskets from the Aquastop valve and coated them with the sticky Grease and also rubbed some around inside the the ports on the lid (the lower grey area below the top of the drain channel). So far no more leaking. I could tell when it was going to leak because I could hear air escaping the lid while I was letting the canister fill up slowly. Similar to the sound of blowing air through a tiny stirrer straw. Once I coated all the gaskets I could no longer hear that air leak. I went with Silicone Grease instead of Vaseline because I am under the impression that petroleum based greases will rot a rubber gasket over time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back