Leak Or No Leak?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dr. Bogger

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok, i'm having a slight delema here.... I'm not sure if i have a leak, or if my tank water is just "evaporating"...

So, i have before and after pictures, along with the date the pictures have been taken...

This picture is the "before" picture, that was taken on 12-28-2006

100_1047.jpg

Here is the "after" picture, showing how much the water has gone done, this picture was taken today (01-02-2007)

100_1050.jpg

Could someone here tell me if this is a leak or evaporation? i felt around the tank, i dont see or feel any water leaks at all... and i have no clue what is going on.

Thanks in advanced for helping me out :)

*Edit* I forgot to mention, i am cycling my tank the fishless way, so i have my temp of the water about 86 degrees F.... and i have 2 airstone in the tank for added air.

Hmm... I'm going to guess it's a leak because no tank should evaporate that much is 5 days... my 29 gallon evaporates, but only about 1/4" every 2 weeks and my temperature is 81F... Odd though, check the seems of the tank on the out side and leave some paper towels around it on the floor, if there is a leak, it's better to catch it soon than later.

I had the same problem witha 15gallon tank, it was a leak and it wouldn't stop :lol: old tank though so I just tossed it...

PS: Beautiful set up :D

Relative humidity is less in winter than in summer, so water evaporates quicker. Add in the top with the open back, the higher temperature, and more surfacr agitation from the airstones & you will evaporate that much water in that short amount of time.

Since there are no fish, try covering the opening in the back with some plastic wrap, plexiglass, or whatever you might have that will seal it. I run most of my tanks with a piece of styrene light diffuser panel for the top, with no openings. A couple of air lines & the heater cord keep one side open by 1/8" or so, and the fish do fine. Evaporation & humidity are a constant fishroom problem, this reduces evaporation to almost nothing. On a covered 29 gallon I lose about 1/4" weekly, on a tank with no cover I lose around 1 1/2".

Relative humidity is less in winter than in summer, so water evaporates quicker. Add in the top with the open back, the higher temperature, and more surfacr agitation from the airstones & you will evaporate that much water in that short amount of time.

Since there are no fish, try covering the opening in the back with some plastic wrap, plexiglass, or whatever you might have that will seal it. I run most of my tanks with a piece of styrene light diffuser panel for the top, with no openings. A couple of air lines & the heater cord keep one side open by 1/8" or so, and the fish do fine. Evaporation & humidity are a constant fishroom problem, this reduces evaporation to almost nothing. On a covered 29 gallon I lose about 1/4" weekly, on a tank with no cover I lose around 1 1/2".

oh wow, ok, thanks for the info....and i just remembered also, that i have had my hands in the water a lot too.... so the water that gets on my arms and hands, add to that as well.

That will cause some water loss as well. My biggest loss of water is from putting an arm or two in a 10 gallon tank. I use these for hatching & growout of eggs & fry, and they need the bottom wiped daily or evey other day, along with a water change. I usually remember to leave them low by about an inch to allow for water displacement when I stick an arm or two in there. Usually. When I forget the tank overflows, as I'm paying attention to the bottom, not the top. The floor needs to be mopped once in a while anyway.

That will cause some water loss as well. My biggest loss of water is from putting an arm or two in a 10 gallon tank. I use these for hatching & growout of eggs & fry, and they need the bottom wiped daily or evey other day, along with a water change. I usually remember to leave them low by about an inch to allow for water displacement when I stick an arm or two in there. Usually. When I forget the tank overflows, as I'm paying attention to the bottom, not the top. The floor needs to be mopped once in a while anyway.

ha ha yup, thank god for wooden floors! :)

that looks pretty normal to me, especially with a tank being kept at a relativley high temp. from evaporation and a bit of spillage and disturbance that's pretty normal. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back